Rail frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
Do you have access to recent local railroad employee timetables? They will have up-to-date information. As a railroader, that's the first thing that comes to mind for me.

Depending on the RR you maybe able to find the timetables online. Or as stated above find a railroader and ask them. I know I have been asked by foamers many times. I keep all of my timetables on my phone so it is pretty easy to look it up.

slapshot0017

Timetables are like guides to the rail line. I don't know how the class one's do it, but ours have schedules, characteristics and other miscellaneous operating procedures. Its really sad that I can't explain it better, but I tend to just work on the radios and right of way.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Input the 97 AAR frequencies into your scanner.

DPD Productions - Railroad Radio Frequencies: AAR Plan

NS in Georgia should be 160.950, 160.245, 160.830. Also, how far are you from the tracks? Railroad is all line of sight -- no repeaters, so you won't hear much if you're more than 10 or so miles away without an aftermarket antenna and good coax.

Last edited:

mjbjr

Input the 97 AAR frequencies into your scanner.

DPD Productions - Railroad Radio Frequencies: AAR Plan

NS in Georgia should be 160.950, 160.245, 160.830. Also, how far are you from the tracks? Railroad is all line of sight -- no repeaters, so you won't hear much if you're more than 10 or so miles away without an aftermarket antenna and good coax.
Im about 10 miles away.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
The Pro-197 does have a service search for railroads. If you have an outside antenna I would grab a notebook and let it search. You can also change your 'default scanlist' to an empty list if not using all of them then just hit F3 when you get a 'hit'. over the course of a few days you should find all the frequently used channels. Search is your friend-some of my older scanners are searching continuously.

W3DMV

GA RR

Since railroads are licensed by the FCC, I went through the records using
a 25 mile search of Macon and made a XL spreadsheet with them all listed
including several that are not Norfolk Southern.
Please keep in mind that these are licensed frequencies they can operate
on, but some maybe unused.
Hope it helps get organized and feel free to spindle, mutilate and print/copy
as needed.....

murrij

Thanks for the pdf W3DMV

Well, didn't like the spreadsheet so will try the old PDF !

Thank you for putting this together. I live between Grovetown and Evans, and so this will allow me to zero in on the frequencies to listen to. I may be to far away to hear any of the traffic going through Grovetown though.
Where did you get the frequencies sir?

Status
Not open for further replies.