Metro north and Amtrak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
Do MNRR and Amtrak communicate via radio?
I take the train a lot from Manhattan and we always pass the Acela train and it flies by us within inches on the next track.
Do they ever communicate or know that another train is coming at high speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Yes they communicate via radio. The proper channels are listed in the rr database. Unless there's a problem, trains don't really talk to each other. I have ridden from NYP to Washington equipped with my radio and outside of inbound NJT trains getting radio checks from PSCC or CTEC-9 there isn't much chatter.

Kitn1mcc

Premium Subscriber
Do MNRR and Amtrak communicate via radio?
I take the train a lot from Manhattan and we always pass the Acela train and it flies by us within inches on the next track.
Do they ever communicate or know that another train is coming at high speed?

Not usually why would they need to know,. Thats what the Dispatcher is for

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Metro North uses signals most of time except for work crews or other problems on the tracks. The radios are busy enough with out any extranious transmissions such as 2 trains passing one another. Speed limits are set for a section of track so each train knows how fast they may go.

To add to this we do have a single base station available to the RTC for direct contact on Amtrak's frequency.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for my ignorance, I'm new to rail scanning

Hey, you never know until you ask. We have the privilege of having some experienced people on this subject on here, some of which already gave you responses.

Manny

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

It can be alittle unnerving to suddenly have a high-speed train pass by since you do not know it is going to occur. The engineer sees the track ahead and there should be clearance between the two tracks, so no problem.

As mentioned the radio is used for work crews, various trackside detectors, and to communicate changes to the train crew. Trains are mandated to implement a Positive Train Control (PTC) system. AMTRAK uses ACSES, which handles many of the communications between the train and the office. Metro North is implementing the same system for PTC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Civil_Speed_Enforcement_System

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.