I am not clear about why I still hear RR comms in the clear (CSX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatracker

I am not clear about why I still hear RR comms in the clear (CSX), when I hear they are going NXDN? TIA, rail fan noob.

kma371

QRT
If you are hearing them using analog, then they just haven't switched yet.

Nasby

None of the Class 1 RRs are using NXDN for mainline operations.

You will likely hear mainline rail chatter on regular analog channels for a very, very long time.

Some shortlines are using NXDN and some Class 1's have some reported yard use on NXDN.

Bottom line, no need for a NXDN upgrade anytime soon if you want to hear the big boys of the rails.

tyytor

clear about why I still hear RR comms in the clear (CSX)

hi, in the rocky mountain rejoin BNSF and Union Pacific RR's are modifying the licences to include NXDN
when they will change over is unclear time will tell.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Most every license in the RR allocation will have NXDN added eventually. This is what the AAR wants to switch to, but when is the issue. Some RR have said they are NOT going NXDN since they just bought new radios that didn't contain NXDN for narrow banding. We are going to be ordering another 200 Harris M7300 for some of our cars and they don't do NXDN. All of our licenses (MTA) now contain the NXDN emission designator, but we have no intention of ever going there on main line frequencies, as there are too many co-users of our tracks including Amtrak. We have begun to construct some NXDN support frequency repeaters (Yard and Fire Brigade) that are both analog and NXDN.
On a interesting note I just received an E-mail stating that the AAR coordinators are holding back on issuing NXDN licenses(I believe new allocations) since some co-users on those frequencies are running carrier squelch and would be annoyed at listening to the constant drone of digital. Not sure how it's all going to shake out and when the main lines would go NXDN.

There was another post about agencies adding NXDN and P-25 to their licenses at renewal, since you are going to pay for a new license why not add something you might use in the future instead of having to pay for again.

Kitn1mcc

Premium Subscriber
Railcom had an ad on there facebook about how there train master is the radio for the charger

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
As a few have stated, no one is going NXDN any time soon. I know of some yard ops that are NXDN in SoCal, and we have a Class 1 in NorCal that is NXDN full time, but beyond that...Who knows!

Regards,

-Frank C.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I just spoke to the owner of Railcom, and they plan on offering a NXDN product in addition to the TRBO product now out there. The only difference between Railcom models is the chassis in the radio will either be Motorola or Kenwood.
They are also building a new custom Railcom model for Chicago Transit, but don't have any details other than regudizing the front panel.

Kitn1mcc

Premium Subscriber
DMR is nice

There are things you can do with analog that you can not do with digital. I can see why analog is better for main line channels and digital is better for other activties

CaptDan

CSX and Florida Northern Rail are still using analog - I hear them almost everyday now as the coal trains head to the power plant.

The power plant also uses an analog radio on site to coordinate the unloading of the coal cars.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
I just spoke to the owner of Railcom, and they plan on offering a NXDN product in addition to the TRBO product now out there. The only difference between Railcom models is the chassis in the radio will either be Motorola or Kenwood.
They are also building a new custom Railcom model for Chicago Transit, but don't have any details other than regudizing the front panel.

By Chicago Transit, do you mean the L or Metra?

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
NXDN Full Time In norCal?

Who would that be? I'll be out in the Bay Area in early December and wasn't aware of this...Thanks!

As a few have stated, no one is going NXDN any time soon. I know of some yard ops that are NXDN in SoCal, and we have a Class 1 in NorCal that is NXDN full time, but beyond that...Who knows!

Regards,

-Frank C.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
None of the Class 1 RRs are using NXDN for mainline operations.

You will likely hear mainline rail chatter on regular analog channels for a very, very long time.

Some shortlines are using NXDN and some Class 1's have some reported yard use on NXDN.

Bottom line, no need for a NXDN upgrade anytime soon if you want to hear the big boys of the rails.

This is not an accurate statement. While not widespread at the moment, I hear them at work (I work in Railroad Signals and Comm) several times a day on both 'Trbo and on NXDN. Licenses have been, and the remaining ones are being, amended as swiftly as possible on NS to have the NXDN emissions designators added.

Analog is still king, but to say none of the class 1's are using NXDN. on the main or otherwise, is false information.

Status
Not open for further replies.