Railroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

radios4bill

Hi Group, I have a question? I live in Lorain County and the Railroad put up a new tower next to the tracks rear my home and i am guessing it is for NXDN I have never listened to the railroads before so I updated my TRX Scanners for the NXDN database but have never heard any traffic? Have the switched over to NXDN in Ohio? Thanks, Bill

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
New tower installations near railroad tracks are probably for Positive Train Control (PTC). This is a data system that has nothing to do with digital voice communications.

radios4bill

They also installed that system further down the tracks with the directional antennas pointing up and down the tracks. The tower I am talking about is a railroad NXDN tower. I can remove my antenna when I am close to it and I get full scale data on the signal meter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlmummert

There is no such thing as an "NXDN Tower". The coming NXDN digital transmissions will be on the same VHF high band as now.

Last edited:

radios4bill

There is no such thing as an "NXDN Tower". The coming NXDN digital transmissions will be on the same VHF high band as now.

“NXDN Tower” meaning the new tower that was just erected is for the new system. I have been listening for over a week and no activity. Just need to know if NXDN is being used in the Cleveland area? Or is the old analog still being used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
No road radio communcation is NXDN. It is still analog. Try entering 160.845 and 161.250 into your scanner. Those are the NS road channels for that area.

RT48

If the tracks are Norfolk Southern, Lorain County is covered by the Toledo East dispatcher on 160.815. I hear trains calling their locations on 161.070.

Nasby

NXDN is NOT being used in N.E. Ohio on any mainlines.

NXDN is likely not going to be used on any mainline Class 1 RR's in N.E. Ohio for quite some time.

Your analog scanner will be just fine for monitoring Lorain County railroads for a good long while.

Program these freqs into your scanner on analog and you will hear the trains in Lorain County: 160.815 NS RR (ex-NYC Lakefront), 161.250 NS RR (Ex-NKP), 160.230 CSX, 160.320 CSX dispatcher, 160.860 CSX, 160.485 CSX (ex-Big 4 Line).

Last edited:

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
If the tracks are Norfolk Southern, Lorain County is covered by the Toledo East dispatcher on 160.815. I hear trains calling their locations on 161.070.

Going east toward Cleveland they switch to 161.070 at Berea.

AK9R

Super Moderator
...as well as one Class 1 in California are full time NXDN.
The only Class 1 railroads operating in California are BNSF and Union Pacific. Are you saying one of them is using NXDN in CA? For road operations? For yard operations? For admin or police operations?

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
The only Class 1 railroads operating in California are BNSF and Union Pacific. Are you saying one of them is using NXDN in CA? For road operations? For yard operations? For admin or police operations?

Caltrain, Amtrak, Metrolink, and SMART are all Class 1railroads as well. BNSF uses NXDN in some SoCal Yards as well as MoW. SMART uses FULLTIME NXDN on all their channels.

Regards,

-Frank C.

AK9R

Super Moderator
I think you are stretching. "Class 1" usually refers to freight railroads. SMART may be using NXDN full time, but do they run on the rails of any Class 1 freight railroads?

Cameron314

Caltrain, Amtrak, Metrolink, and SMART are all Class 1railroads as well. BNSF uses NXDN in some SoCal Yards as well as MoW. SMART uses FULLTIME NXDN on all their channels.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Amtrak is, the rest are not Class 1’s.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin

Regards,

-Frank C.

You're trying to say that all of those companies generate $452,000,000 in annual revenue each?

I don't believe that Amtrak even owns any track in California, so they don't really even matter for this conversation as Amtrak gets told what frequency they'll be using.

That leaves you with UP, and BNSF, and neither of them have widespread road NXDN usage.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
I think you are stretching. "Class 1" usually refers to freight railroads. SMART may be using NXDN full time, but do they run on the rails of any Class 1 freight railroads?

Class 1 refers to a certain class of railroads by the FRA standards. SMART is a CLASS 1 PASSENGER railroad.

The NWP and CFNR (G&W) are Class 3 Railroads.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Status
Not open for further replies.