RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Railroad/Railfan Monitoring Forum

Railroad/Railfan Monitoring Forum - This is the place to discuss monitoring railroad communications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2017, 5:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Need help with RR frequencies

Howdy.
I've got the Grecom PSR500 scanner and I've loaded most everything I'm wanting from here around Central Virginia. What I'm having trouble with is finding the railroad frequencies to load into a scanlist. I'm using Win500 software to load off of Radio Reference, but I can't figure out how to find the RR frequencies going through Win500.
Not a problem to go to Radioreference.com and see the railroads listed in the database, but they're not there when going through the Win500. Help? Please? And, thanks! - Steve
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2017, 6:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Screen Shots

https://forums.radioreference.com/at...1&d=1513297057
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2017, 7:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Rivardj, thank you so much for that! I never thought to put 'state' on 'nationwide'. Easy peasy! Thanks again! sv
Old 12-15-2017, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrova View Post
Rivardj, thank you so much for that! I never thought to put 'state' on 'nationwide'. Easy peasy! Thanks again! sv
Mrova, don't be disappointed when you don't hear a lot of train traffic on the PSR-500. I have been a train watcher for 20 years and can tell you that the 500 is not good for this task. You will hear some traffic but the scanner misses much. Those of us that watch trains as a hobby use dedicated VHF or much older generation scanners for trains. The PSR-500 is great on digital trunked systems but not good on the 160 band.
Old 12-15-2017, 9:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have the RS Pro 106 which is the same scanner, and GRE scanners have actually been know as too sensitive and prone to overload on VHF. This can also create a problem, and even a nearby VHF transmitter not on Rail frequencies could be the cause. The other issue that is slowly being introduced is the move to NXDN by the railroads. Same band, but digital mode that the 500 and 106 cannot decode. The newest Whistler scanners can handle NXDN and DMR which is very popular.
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2017, 8:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipesy View Post
Mrova, don't be disappointed when you don't hear a lot of train traffic on the PSR-500. I have been a train watcher for 20 years and can tell you that the 500 is not good for this task. You will hear some traffic but the scanner misses much. Those of us that watch trains as a hobby use dedicated VHF or much older generation scanners for trains. The PSR-500 is great on digital trunked systems but not good on the 160 band.
Thanks for the info Swipesy! My primary interest is when I'm in the area of the trainyards around here, maybe I'll pick up something interesting, but more than that, I try to get to my hometown of Danville, VA when the NW611 is rolling through (currently having maintenance done in NC), and then when it makes it's trip up this way to Old Town, Petersburg, VA.
I've got an old bearcat 180 that should cover that pretty well, shouldn't it?
thanks again! sv
Old 12-15-2017, 8:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspence View Post
I have the RS Pro 106 which is the same scanner, and GRE scanners have actually been know as too sensitive and prone to overload on VHF. This can also create a problem, and even a nearby VHF transmitter not on Rail frequencies could be the cause. The other issue that is slowly being introduced is the move to NXDN by the railroads. Same band, but digital mode that the 500 and 106 cannot decode. The newest Whistler scanners can handle NXDN and DMR which is very popular.
Thanks jaspence for that info too! I'll have to keep that in mind. I don't suppose another scanner would be much of an issue with my wife?!!?