Metro Rail Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElevatorsAndRadios

yarewesog
Premium Subscriber
Is there anyone else who monitors the NXDN communications on the LACMTA? I have been for the past few weeks and I must say there's some interesting communications going on the Gold Line Ops channel, as well as on the channels for the other rail lines.

karldotcom

Is there anyone else who monitors the NXDN communications on the LACMTA? I have been for the past few weeks and I must say there's some interesting communications going on the Gold Line Ops channel, as well as on the channels for the other rail lines.
With regards to...? I have started listening to the bus system again and it seems there are a lot of full busses bypassing stops, etc

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Use TRX-1 and TRX-2 to sometimes monitor NXDN Metro Rail Los Angeles. Very busy and can be interesting. Big source of NXDN activity here in Los Angeles.

ElevatorsAndRadios

yarewesog
Premium Subscriber
With regards to...? I have started listening to the bus system again and it seems there are a lot of full busses bypassing stops, etc

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Everything from trespassers to misbehaving passengers to normal communications for logistics!

glradio

Premium Subscriber
I also enjoy listening to it, so I setup a Broadcastify feed carrying the NXDN MTA rail operations channels. “Los Angeles County MTA Rail Operations.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ElevatorsAndRadios

yarewesog
Premium Subscriber
I also enjoy listening to it, so I setup a Broadcastify feed carrying the NXDN MTA rail operations channels. “Los Angeles County MTA Rail Operations.”

That’s awesome!!!!!! I was literally thinking about making a stream yesterday or the day before, but I wouldn’t be able to make it live 24/7 since I monitor on a handheld. That’s very nice of you to make this stream since not a lot of people have nxdn equipment like we do.
30909f3cfa1a42c853001abe2b9c374d.png

glradio

Premium Subscriber
I hope you enjoy it. Later this week I’ll need to take it down for a couple of hours to swap out some hardware, but other than maintenance/power failure/internet outage, it’ll be up 24/7.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
Awesome feed, glradio! I have been really enjoying it the last week! I was curious what type of hardware you are using to feed the stream? I have a Whistler TRX-2 and I have been playing around with getting digital modes to work on my USB SDRs. We don't have any railroad NXDN around north Alabama that I have found yet but we do have a large steel plant that uses it.

Thank you again for the feed! It is very much appreciated!

glradio

Premium Subscriber
Right now I’m working to diagnose why the feed keeps dropping. I have replaced the network switch and tomorrow will go back to the site to replace the network cabling. Then we’ll see. Sorry about the interruption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
Sounding good, glradio. Did you find out the problem causing the feed to drop?
-- John

glradio

Premium Subscriber
Sounding good, glradio. Did you find out the problem causing the feed to drop?
-- John

Okay, I figured it out. The receiver site is connected via a wireless link which needs a managed switch. I have a workaround in place, and a managed switch has been ordered. Thank you all for your patience and understanding.

ElevatorsAndRadios

yarewesog
Premium Subscriber
I'm glad to see others are interested in this radio system. I think it's really cool because there's a lot more activity to be heard on LACMTA channels than normal heavy rail channels, especially since this network is a repeater-based network with multiple sites., and thus can be heard anywhere in the range of one of the powerful towers.

Here are a few things I've learned about the system for those who don't know:

-The trains have ICOM F-5061D Mobiles. Mobiles usually have four-digit ID numbers starting with 3 and 5. A notable exception is Gold Line train car 710, which has an ID number of 710.
-Handhelds used are ICOM F-3161DS and F3261DT portables. All of the 3261's are configured with the full keypad; all of the 3161's are configured with the limited keypad. They often have four-digit unit ID numbers starting with 1 or 2. If they don't, they have 3 digit id numbers.
-Mainline control's ID number is always 20.
-Rail supervisor vehicles are also equipped with a mobile radio, and in addition, they have a mobile/base Uniden BearCat scanner.
-This is a "voting" system. The reasons for the multi-casts (same audio heard on multiple frequencies) is because the radios are constantly measuring the signal strength of each repeater site and changing to the appropriate frequency to optimize coverage (presumably the repeater with the greatest signal strength). This allows "roaming" and one "channel" to be used along a long stretch of railway.
-The reason I have a channel in quotes is that, with the exception of perhaps Foothill, Downtown, and the yard channels, the channels are actually programmed as zones. Each channel is a zone, and all of the frequencies in the zone are evaluated by the user radios and one is selected as stated above.
-The "10-codes" used on the radio is different from the 10-codes you'll hear police using. Metro has their own set of codes that I will not make public, but if you listen enough you can figure them out.

Additionally, while listening to @glradio 's stream, you'll often hear control calling different employees. Employee names are not used... instead, they have callsigns they use on the radio. (Ex: Gold Line control to S42 means Gold Line control to the supervisor assigned to S42).

Here's a quick callsign reference, showing the first letter of the callsign and the employee's position:

T - Train Operators
S - Supervisors
MT - Track Inspectors
MS - Signal Inspectors
M - Vehicle Technicians
L - Elevator Technicians
R - Dispatchers and Supervisors
TP - Traction power employees
FM - Facilities maintenance

I hope someone finds this useful. 73!

glradio

Premium Subscriber
I had been using Proscan to provide the feed, but it kept dropping out. Not every day, but still frustrating. Yesterday I switched to ScannerCast, which doesn't provide tags, but I'm told the audio feed should be more reliable.

ElevatorsAndRadios

yarewesog
Premium Subscriber
A new channel has been added to the Metro Rail system. It covers the Division 24 yard in Monrovia, but I have been unable to find the freq. for it. I don't know if it's reusing a frequency already in use with a different RAN or if it is a different frequency altogether. If anyone could find that frequency that would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.