RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Rants

Rants - I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2016, 12:00 AM

Default Bringing your scanner into a public place

So latley the weather has been getting nicer and I bright my scanner into local mall and you would think the rest of history right?

Nope. Mall security asked me to leave after spotting my radio and giving a very honest awnser saying "I'm just listening"

Anyway carried on home and felt pretty bad about the whole thing as if I had done something wrong after carrying around a little innocent radio.

Upon further research and analysis concealing and wearing earbuds seems to be the way to go,

I am posting this to gather other members experiences and stories if the same problem has occurred in there city in a public place (malls, large public areas etc...)

Let the stories begin !!

Michael!

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2016, 7:30 AM

What was chattering over it at the time?
Was it loud enough for people to hear a considerable distance away?

I don’t carry a scanner with me, but I will sometimes have a ham HT, or a business band transceiver.

Volume will be turned to the level that I can just hear it above the ambient noise of the area.

Anyone ask, I will say, I am a amateur operator, and it’s my transceiver…

Or

It’s my business radio.

I would be very cross if someone kicked me out for the sole reason of having it in my possession. And as of this point, I can not really remember anyone ever making an issue of it.

On the other hand, If I had the volume cranked up to the max, had fowl language blaring out of it, or otherwise making a scene, then I could understand their dislike for my activity.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:37 AM

My volume isn't that loud usually at a acceptable level with berry little traffic

Old 06-22-2016, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air11 View Post
My volume isn't that loud usually at a acceptable level with berry little traffic

What you classify as acceptable and what they classify as acceptable may be different. What you want to go for is “Minimum” level required to hear it. If you can just make out what they are saying over ambient noise, then you have it about right. If you walk in from a noisy street to a quiet store. YOU TURN IT DOWN to match the new noise level.

There is usually plenty of people running around a mall with radios. Both shop employs using FRS MURS radios, and families that are occasionally seen with FRS radios.

I do not see any reason for them to generally go nuts if they see someone with a radio. There had to be something you were doing that attracted their attention.

Keep in mind... When using a piece of radio equipment in public, it is awfully easy to come across as some sort of “radio commando” wanabe. So always to use your equipment in a tactful way.

And the other thing in the tactful category is… Something you do NOT want to do when using a radio, or scanner in public is have it on a frequency where they are discussing people’s personal information. Having it on a police frequency where the officer and dispatch are discussing the person’s SSN, Name DOB, and other private information is a strict NO NO.

There is specific stuff like that that you do NOT want coming out of the speaker when you are listening in public. It gives scanner users a bad name, and causes problems for others that are more restrained in their listening habits while in public.

Stuff like that may be the reason they told you to leave even if you were not doing anything “out of the ordinary” when they found out you were using a scanner. They probably had several bad run ins with other scanner users.
Old 06-22-2016, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchett View Post
What you classify as acceptable and what they classify as acceptable may be different. What you want to go for is “Minimum” level required to hear it. If you can just make out what they are saying over ambient noise, then you have it about right. If you walk in from a noisy street to a quiet store. YOU TURN IT DOWN to match the new noise level.

There is usually plenty of people running around a mall with radios. Both shop employs using FRS MURS radios, and families that are occasionally seen with FRS radios.

I do not see any reason for them to generally go nuts if they see someone with a radio. There had to be something you were doing that attracted their attention.

Keep in mind... When using a piece of radio equipment in public, it is awfully easy to come across as some sort of “radio commando” wanabe. So always to use your equipment in a tactful way.

And the other thing in the tactful category is… Something you do NOT want to do when using a radio, or scanner in public is have it on a frequency where they are discussing people’s personal information. Having it on a police frequency where the officer and dispatch are discussing the person’s SSN, Name DOB, and other private information is a strict NO NO.

There is specific stuff like that that you do NOT want coming out of the speaker when you are listening in public. It gives scanner users a bad name, and causes problems for others that are more restrained in their listening habits while in public.

Stuff like that may be the reason they told you to leave even if you were not doing anything “out of the ordinary” when they found out you were using a scanner. They probably had several bad run ins with other scanner users.
Would defiantly make sense or they just don't like other people listening to them

The Radiocommunication Act in Canada clearly does state that you can listen to any freq/system as long your not trying to hack an encrypted system or rebroadcast what you hear. The bottom line is it's public Info...

Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2016, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Would defiantly make sense or they just don't like other people listening to them
There is no need to get defiant.

Quote:
The Radiocommunication Act in Canada clearly does state that you can listen to any freq/system as long your not trying to hack an encrypted system or rebroadcast what you hear. The bottom line is it's public Info...
Which is irrelevant. They can kick you out for almost any reason they want.
Old 06-23-2016, 9:05 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

slicerwizard has hit the nail on the head. It's not a radio issue, it is a conduct issue.

A property owner has the right to exclude someone from their property if that someone fails to comply with their rules of conduct.

What we don't know is what exact rule of this particular property owner was violated. It could have been merely having a scanner, although that seems unlikely. It seems probable that the OP was in some way creating what the property owner considered to be a disturbance. If they perceived the radio as the source of the disturbance, then they were within their rights to require the OP to remove the radio from the premises. Failure to comply would give them the right to exclude the owner from entry.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:01 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My guess would be that it was a volume or content issue. Why not just use a pair of ear buds when monitoring? As often as I see people with earbuds and cell phone together, that wouldn't draw any suspicion or incur anyone's wrath whatsoever.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:41 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I never carry a scanner on me. I only carry my work radio but it still draws looks. At least it doesn't have public safety chatter coming out of it though!

Some things to consider...

You didn't say exactly what you were monitoring (unless I missed it). If you were monitoring mall security communications... can you blame them for being curious? Again, it's private property.

If you were listening to public safety you probably drew some attention. People would try to figure out if you were an authority figure or not and why you were there. I too, would be curious.

Since you weren't wearing earbuds they may have thought you were disturbing others. People may find radio traffic just as annoying as speakerphone conversations or playing music without earbuds.

In the future just conceal the scanner and wear earbuds. Or better yet, set up your own private feed from home (I use Zello) and listen to it on your phone with earbuds or bluetooth. Problem solved.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabaynews View Post
You didn't say exactly what you were monitoring (unless I missed it). If you were monitoring mall security communications... can you blame them for being curious? Again, it's private property.
That's exactly what he was doing. Talkgroup 10, on his DMR transceiver - not a scanner - with the volume UP.

Erin Mills Town Center Trunking System, Mississauga, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

Ravi - the guard that gave him the boot - was not impressed (they never are)
Old 06-23-2016, 1:23 PM

I would love to get a radio to monitor Square One security. All the guards know me (in a good way) - I work there. It would be nice to listen in and know what's going on. They have seen me with my collection of radios

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pro-91, MTS 2000 800MHz, Astro Saber VHF
Old 06-23-2016, 2:38 PM
Mentor
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

....and this is why the Privacy checkbox starts to get used. Guards start filing complaints that people are walking thru the mall openly listening to their comms, radio company gets a call. Done and done. You have to remember that many people were told that DMR was unmonitorable, which as far as they know.. is true. But with the introduction of the cheap DMR radios and now DMR capable scanners this is going to become more and more common.
Old 06-23-2016, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forts View Post
....and this is why the Privacy checkbox starts to get used. Guards start filing complaints that people are walking thru the mall openly listening to their comms, radio company gets a call. Done and done. You have to remember that many people were told that DMR was unmonitorable, which as far as they know.. is true. But with the introduction of the cheap DMR radios and now DMR capable scanners this is going to become more and more common.

Ya that is very true. If I ever had that kind of radio I would never even bring it up to anyone.

Pro-91, MTS 2000 800MHz, Astro Saber VHF
Old 06-23-2016, 2:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

discrete is elite.
Old 06-23-2016, 6:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

discreet is elite.
Old 06-23-2016, 6:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

10 - 4 agreed
Old 06-23-2016, 11:23 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
So latley the weather has been getting nicer and I bright my scanner into local mall and you would think the rest of history right?

Nope. Mall security asked me to leave after spotting my radio and giving a very honest awnser saying "I'm just listening"

Anyway carried on home and felt pretty bad about the whole thing as if I had done something wrong after carrying around a little innocent radio.

Upon further research and analysis concealing and wearing earbuds seems to be the way to go,

I am posting this to gather other members experiences and stories if the same problem has occurred in there city in a public place (malls, large public areas etc...)

Let the stories begin !!

Michael!

If you were proficient in soldering, I'd recommend installing a low pass filter to the audio output so you don't have the annoying treble audio coming out of your scanner.

I used to do it by removing the speaker and install thin paper or plastic until the treble component is greatly reduced.

Since the new style is to wear surveillance gear, find a nice dark earphone set you are comfortable wearing for extended periods and use that without annoying the stupid native population inhabiting the mall.

Old 06-24-2016, 9:05 AM
Was: Pro-91
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Lol listening on the speaker out loud in a store. Scanner in the pocker or under shirt and coat does well with one of these Listen Only Earpiece | Scanner Master
Old 06-24-2016, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forts View Post
Yep, there was a time when you could (*) flaunt your ability to monitor just about anything and there wasn't much the target could do about it - cordless phones, cellphones, mall cops, real cops, fast food drive throughs, you name it. It was all plain analog FM and the users couldn't do a damn thing to stop your eavesdropping.

So what do we have now?

cordless phones: spread spectrum

cellphones: digital and largely unmonitorable

drive throughs: spread spectrum

real cops: AES256

mall cops: clear DMR, but we have helpful members pushing them to encryption... Brilliant!

* Could, not that you should...
Old 06-24-2016, 4:17 PM
Was k2ool/k1nng

Heres how you do it !
Get a bluetooth transmitter on ebay
plug into scanner
Use blutooth earphone or regular earphone to listen.
carry scanner on belt and cover the antena with your shirt
Now tell me how they are going to tell you what you have?
If this happened to me i would have gone to the store manager and asked him if he wants me to shop in his mall or store or the one down the street.
I carry mine on my bike and eat at the sub sandwich base with it on and nobody says anything.

If they ask what you have tell them its an MP3 player or just say "its none of your G-D business"