RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Rants

Rants - I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 6:57 AM

Default railroad crossings

Why is it that so many people donít make sure that their vehicle will clear the other side of the railroad tracks before crossing them? Then they have the nerve to blow their horn at the car in front of them if they get caught on the tracks to move up even though that may be impossible. The only thing scarier is that they might be playing some monster hunting game on their phone when crossing the tracks.
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2017, 4:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Grade crossings are put in by the railroad as a method of population control. Darwin rules.
Old 04-21-2017, 5:40 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.

Where is that "LIKE" button when you need it?! "...population control." is a killer! lol
Old 04-22-2017, 12:14 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Post railroad crossings

what i`ve seen is cars that are so close to the gates that the front is actually under the gate (seen this a few times on my runs to Dayton, usually when i`m heading outta MKE or into CHI during the evening rush), or the other one, folks trying to beat the train to the crossing, or the even scarier one that i almost wittenessed the first time i rode the train, the "suicide by train" (that was in SW WI the first time i rode, on the Empire Builder, the "sister" train to the one i was on hit the guy, not good). Don`t folks know better than to try to beat a train? Think on it for a moment, a train is not a car, and therefore cannot just stop on a dime like a car can, anyone that`s ever rode a train knows what i mean, it takes a while to stop under normal conditions (like comming into a station), imagine the hard stop that happens when they gotta do an emergency stop, that dosen`t sound like it would be much fun for the riders, and if they get it wrong they could even derail the train. N9NRA
Old 04-28-2017, 8:40 AM

To paraphrase our president...Very very stupid people.
I just cringe when I see kids walking on the tracks. Not a spur either but busy main lines.
Part of me would like to see one come within a few feet of a speeding train just to put the fear of the Lord in them.
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2017, 4:08 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMilton View Post
To paraphrase our president...Very very stupid people.
I just cringe when I see kids walking on the tracks. Not a spur either but busy main lines.
Part of me would like to see one come within a few feet of a speeding train just to put the fear of the Lord in them.
I`ve almost seen that a few times on my Dayton runs, not good. The other one i just thought of is what happens when a train is stopped (halted) on a crossing, and folks in their cars start to get impatient. Saw that on my first ride, we were halted at the Columbus, WI station to drop off/pick up passengers on the Empire Builder, there was a line of at least 8 cars waiting on the street to cross, got to watch as the drivers started to do the tapping the steering wheel thingy as they waited (impatiently i might add) for the train (that was us) to move. Honestly i found it rather amusing, but it couldda easily wound up way different if even one of them impatient drivers wouldda tried to cross...it wouldda been one GNARLY MESS for all of us. N9NRA, P. S. I did however get to see one (he would have been the ninth car in that line) guy that decided he didn`t want to wait, and promptly did a u-turn, going back the way he`d just come from, rather amusing .
Old 04-29-2017, 4:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile railroad crossings, another thought.

Was just thinkin` while we`re on the subject , anyone ever seen those people that stand near the tracks taking pics of trains? Saw one for the first time when i was on the Hiwatha line headed into the Sturtavent station (SVT), this guy was standing OVER the yellow restraining line on the platform holding up a cellphone camera taking shots of us as we blew into the station. All i could think was, "what a crazy dope!" Don`t he know he is simply TOO CLOSE to the train that is RIGHT NOW still comming into the station at a somewhat fast speed? I still remember seeing this dope and being rather shocked at what i saw (didn`t mention it to the conductor, which i now think i should have), a while later on i did mention it on a ham radio net that i check into, made for some good conversation afterwards. The other ham told me that them guys are referred to rather derisively as "foamers", after what i saw at the SVT station i can see why. N9NRA.
Old 04-30-2017, 8:18 AM

I guess they just want to effect of the train getting as close to them and their picture with out getting smacked. Here is prime example of what you describe. This isn't here in America but it shows what could have happened. The look on this guys face is priceless.There are a bunch of stupid people with trains videos on this link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHmF7_bNHa0
Old 04-30-2017, 4:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

True. And ya would think that these dopes would figure that out, guess not. I know i`m gonna sound kinda cold, but i almost hope one of these dopes gets whacked by one of the amtrak trains (hopefully not one that i happen to be on, that mess with the #27 was bad enough, we were halted for almost two hours because of that `un, and i surly don`t wanna see him get hurt or killed ether, just a little "love tap" as we used to call it in highschool ) so they know what can happen when they get too close to a speeding train, even one going slowly. And another thingy, when you see a train blow through a crossing it seems like it`s going faster than it really is (next time you`re near a crossing pull out your scanner & listen for the detector to read out the speed the train is going, it may say that it`s traveling only...let`s say...42 MPH, but i can tell ya from my train watchings that it seems like it`s blowing through that crossing at more like sixty. I almost hope i see one again this year just for kicks, It might be intresting. N9NRA.

Last edited by N9NRA; 04-30-2017 at 4:55 PM.. Reason: corrected a mispelling.
Old 04-30-2017, 4:58 PM

Working in law enforcement, and in an area with many grade crossings, I've used the following story and associated video to enlighten folks on the dangers associated with racing trains, and crossing when there isn't adequate room on the other side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMvtDNATP04

Unfortunately, this one resulted in the deaths of two of the driver's children, and the driver herself, several days after the crash. She was so intent on beating a train coming from one direction, that she never looked the other way at the crossing.

Last edited by Sconnick; 04-30-2017 at 4:58 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-30-2017, 5:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconnick View Post
Working in law enforcement, and in an area with many grade crossings, I've used the following story and associated video to enlighten folks on the dangers associated with racing trains, and crossing when there isn't adequate room on the other side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMvtDNATP04

Unfortunately, this one resulted in the deaths of two of the driver's children, and the driver herself, several days after the crash. She was so intent on beating a train coming from one direction, that she never looked the other way at the crossing.
Wow, and i remember reading one of my brother`s Driver`s ed books once, they ALWAYS tell ya to look out for the second train after the first one passes, never assume there will be only one train, even if there is only one at that time. I`ve ridden on amtrak a few times now, and i`ve seen some crazy stuff like that guy i saw at Sturtavant, WI (SVT), i`m just suprised he wasn`t "skinned" (brushed) by the train i was on, you couldda reached out and TOUCHED the dude if you couldda opened the window, which thankfully i couldn`t . Makes me glad i learned that danger when i was a young kid out in the country, we had the old SOO LINE going less than a mile from our place, nice at night when ya went to bed, but dangerous if you wanted to try stupid stuff like being a "foamer". N9NRA.
Old 05-05-2017, 4:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Fatal accident between farm equipment and train near Parke/Vigo line - WTHI News
One dead, one critical after truck hit by train Thursday morning in Vigo County - WTHI News
Dr. Darwin must be visiting my area...we had two in less than 24 hours. I understand the ag sprayer situation somewhat...I've run those things before and with the booms folded up, you have just about zero side vision. Doesn't make it right, of course. I've stopped in the middle of the road, gotten down, and looked real good before proceeding. And I knew this guy somewhat, kinda expected better of him. That one was on the CSX single track out of Chicago, can't recall what they call it at the moment.

Didn't know the other guy, but I know that stretch of road real well, about 1.5 miles between two grade crossings parallel to the ROW is the extent of Gallagher Road and I've seen people race the train more times than I can count. This guy lost, as did his passenger. It's on the CSX St. Louis Line coming out of Terre Haute and they roll 'em pretty good, it's the old NYC double track and they keep it in good shape.

People never seem to learn that the train always wins. But then being impatient and wanting everything "right now" is a big flaw that I see in our society daily. I don't have any answers and while my sympathy for someone who tries to beat the train and loses is just about zero, I understand that the crews have to live with it and my heart goes out to them.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:57 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ11DLN View Post
Fatal accident between farm equipment and train near Parke/Vigo line - WTHI News
One dead, one critical after truck hit by train Thursday morning in Vigo County - WTHI News
Dr. Darwin must be visiting my area...we had two in less than 24 hours. I understand the ag sprayer situation somewhat...I've run those things before and with the booms folded up, you have just about zero side vision. Doesn't make it right, of course. I've stopped in the middle of the road, gotten down, and looked real good before proceeding. And I knew this guy somewhat, kinda expected better of him. That one was on the CSX single track out of Chicago, can't recall what they call it at the moment.

Didn't know the other guy, but I know that stretch of road real well, about 1.5 miles between two grade crossings parallel to the ROW is the extent of Gallagher Road and I've seen people race the train more times than I can count. This guy lost, as did his passenger. It's on the CSX St. Louis Line coming out of Terre Haute and they roll 'em pretty good, it's the old NYC double track and they keep it in good shape.

People never seem to learn that the train always wins. But then being impatient and wanting everything "right now" is a big flaw that I see in our society daily. I don't have any answers and while my sympathy for someone who tries to beat the train and loses is just about zero, I understand that the crews have to live with it and my heart goes out to them.
Intresting, i`ve not seen one of those sprayer units, but from what ya tell me here i`m envisioning something that is BIG, now i almost hope i see one in one of them big farm fields that i see along the tracks going through Indianna this time around. Intrestingly enough the tracks cut through farm fields, kinda fun to be looking out the windows on both sides of the car and seeing a plowed field on ether side of ya, makes me wonder how they can even work in them fields with the tracks going right through `em, i can only imagine what the farmer thinks when he sees the #51 blowing by as he`s on his tractor (mabey they`re used to it too). Still, i can get what you`re talking about, even school busses do that, they would stop at the crossing, open the door, and the driver would tell us kids to be quiet while the driver listened for the train, no train, we would cross and we could resume chattering, and yes, i also feel for the train crews, when the Empire Builder #27 hit that guy that killed himself i really felt for the engineer on that train, i could only guess what was going through his mind as he one, saw that the guy wasn`t gonna move, two threw the train into emergency, and after that basically became an unwilling passenger as he held on and prayed he didn`t deraill, not to mention what the PASSENGERS on that train must`ve been wondering too. Yup, gotta wonder why someone would even THINK they could beat a train. N9NRA.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:08 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Post Hoping i`ll see another one of them "foamers" again this year :).

I was just thinking, after i saw that foamer ( like that guy i saw last time taking pics of the train at the Sturtavant, WI station on the Hiwatha (Amtrak) line) that i almost hope i`ll see another one this year too, just so i can have a good laugh when i blow past him standing there on the platform too close to the train . Yeah, sounds kinda cold, but them guys are good entertainment sometimes, they seem to have this fixation on gettin` that ONE GREAT PIC of a train for some reason, and they`re not above doing whatever it takes to get that one great pic, even if it means stepping on/over the yellow restraining line (the safety line painted on the platform alongside the track). Thank the fates we don`t use a track system like the NYC subways use, electric trains that run a third rail, touch that and ya just might die, there`s a LOT of voltage in that from what i`ve been told. N9NRA.