Wellbrook help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I will be buying a new hf antenna in the upcoming days to replace my g5rv. I will be going with a wellbrook active loop. My location is queens ny my radio is an sdriq and need helping in choosing one of the two antennas

ALA330S
or
ALA1530S

Most of my listening is 3mhz-21mhz. The antenna is will be mounted on a flat roof that is 50ft up with a 10ft mast. Should i also install a rotator? I if i dont do the rotator which way should i face the loop?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Mike

Turbo68

Hi Mike I use the Wellbrook-ALA1530 & 330S with 1530 interface my dad has the same wellbrook loops plus the Pixel Pro-1A & Rf Systems DX-One MK11 all of these antennas performance on hf is excellent which everu end up with you willget good results use to have the 1530 on a rotator and performance was superb only problem was the rotator.

Regards Lino.

SoftwareJock

Re: WellBrook help

I have had the ALA330S for about 10 months here. It's a very good antenna. I live in a very high noise environment with not much room for a longwire so it is perfect for my needs. I have it mounted about 8 feet above my roof on a rotor. Where the rotor helps a lot is nulling out noise. On AM MW, it is also very effective with nulling out a station when two are on the same frequency. I highly recommend that you use a rotor with the antenna.

The gain on the ALA330S is high but not too high for me. I just use the attenuator switch on my receiver (Icom R75).

I'm very happy with the antenna. The head unit amplifier blew out a short time ago. Andy Ikins sent a replacement immediately as it was under the 1 year warranty. I sent him a detailed report of my troubleshooting so he probably felt comfortable that the problem was in the head unit and not in my cabling.

Most of the light duty antenna rotors are now made in China. If you do research before purchasing your rotor, you'll see many user complaints for most of the brands. A common problem is that the rotors become sluggish in the cold weather and stop rotating. Some of the folks in the user blogs were able to fix the problems by taking the units apart and lubricating them. Mine stopped rotating when we had extreme cold here but it is now fine with the warmer weather.

I highly recommend the Wellbrook. The only downside is that shipping takes a about 10 days but all other aspects of the purchase were perfect.

nanZor

The antenna is will be mounted on a flat roof that is 50ft up with a 10ft mast. Should i also install a rotator? I if i dont do the rotator which way should i face the loop?

Normally one faces the loop towards a localized source of interference to null it out. The null is very low to the horizon in a figure-8 pattern. From above, there is very little null, so the loop is mostly considered omnidirectional for skywave propagation. Careful listening might reveal that there is actually a somewhat oblong skywave pattern above, rather than purely omni.

That is, if you look through it like holding a magnifying glass in your hands, the null will be broadside to the loop. This null is very sharp - a few degrees either way and you'll hear the noise - so most install a rotator, or use the "strong-arm" method if they aren't battling many noise sources.

The small aperture loop does not need to be very high above ground to work properly - although getting it above the roof may physically get it farther away from local noise sources reducing the need for critical rotating.

These loops also depend on extreme electrical balance to give you a bi-directional null down low. You should be able to rotate the loop through nearly 360 degrees, and observe two identical nulls on local noise as your rotate it fully around. If you only obtain one null, or some weird cardioid type pattern when nulling, that means that there is an electrical unbalance somewhere.

If suffering from unbalance, make sure the loop is as far away from other nearby metallic structures, or even hidden ones like chicken-wire inside walls, etc. Mount it in another location, and rotate through 360 degrees again to make sure you can obtain a null on both "sides" of the loop.

In extreme cases of unbalance, where you can barely detect a nulling effect at all, check to make sure that your feedline hasn't taken over as the antenna - typically the coax braid - turning your nice loop into a random wire with a lollipop on the end. Lose a conductor, or have a very-high resistance contact somewhere at the loop can do this - periodic maintenance is a must. Other methods to reduce "common mode" problems like rf-chokes may need to be placed on the feedline.

That being said, while an exact balance is desired, it is not absolutely necessary if the null that you do obtain does the job!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.