PAR EFL SWL From LnR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

I ordered one through LnR Precision, who apparently are the outfit that took over from Dale. Anyone here ever deal with LnR? I'm asking because I ordered it last Friday and it's now this Friday, still no antenna. I never got a UPS tracking # either just an email confirmation that I bought one. They also do not return phone calls. Is this normal, and how long does UPS ground typically take? It's coming from North Carolina. Thanks for any input.

SCPD

QRT
I ordered one through LnR Precision, who apparently are the outfit that took over from Dale. Anyone here ever deal with LnR? I'm asking because I ordered it last Friday and it's now this Friday, still no antenna. I never got a UPS tracking # either just an email confirmation that I bought one. They also do not return phone calls. Is this normal, and how long does UPS ground typically take? It's coming from North Carolina. Thanks for any input.

Well, if you're lucky, it shipped out Monday. If you're really lucky, you'll get it this Monday -- presuming it shipped last Monday. Make sense?

Typically, if I have not received a ship confirmation, then I presume it has not shipped. I would call them to be sure.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And keep in mind the time zone difference - frankly I just would have ordered through a distributor like Universal and been done with it but hopefully you'll get your antenna in due course

Mike

SCPD

QRT
I could be wrong, but I think Universal just forwards the order on to LNR directly. I recently read that a customer ordered from Grove and had his is only a few days -- which may mean that they have a small stock of them.

Worse case scenario, if LNR is backordered, then you might try Grove -- it's the same price and for only $10 you can get USPS Priority shipping which only takes 3 days from NC.

PAR High-Performance Shortwave Antenna

ridgescan

thanks guys. It looks like Monday then. They must be swamped or something. I left 3 phone messages, but apparently nobody's paying voicemails back and on the 4th try this afternoon their "voicemail box is full"

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
it's the same price and for only $10 you can get USPS Priority shipping which only takes 3 days from NC.

:lol::lol:Sorry, didn't mean to laugh. I just had to wait a week for USPS to deliver a "Priority Mail" piece from NC that USPS said would take 2 days.

And as far as Universal goes, I don't believe they've ever had anything in stock when I've ordered.

SCPD

QRT
:lol::lol:Sorry, didn't mean to laugh. I just had to wait a week for USPS to deliver a "Priority Mail" piece from NC that USPS said would take 2 days.

And as far as Universal goes, I don't believe they've ever had anything in stock when I've ordered.

I've been fortunate not to have any issues with USPS Priority. With a couple of exceptions (with items from the extreme east coast) I've always had my stuff in 2-3 days at the most. Their tracking system is kind of joke though.

Yes, I agree with you on Universal. I like their web site for the information. HRO could really learn from them on how to build a good dealer site.

I ordered something a couple of years ago from Universal and they sent me an email asking me to call them. So I did -- and the guy I spoke with was either distracted or busy -- because he was quite terse and somewhat rude.

Unless they offer something exclusive I generally don't do business with them.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I ordered mine from Grove and had it in a few days, they are also in North Carolina. Great folks to do business with, I've been a customer of theirs off and on for probably 35 years! And if you call during normal business hours you always get a human on the phone is pleasant to deal with.

ridgescan

FWIW I took a shot at Larry's (owner of LnR Precision) I guess it went right to his phone-he replied that they were at the "Dayton Hamvention" all week (explains why their voicemail box filled up) so they will send my antenna out Monday.
Nice to know what's happening-nice of Larry to respond so fast.

SCPD

QRT
FWIW I took a shot at Larry's (owner of LnR Precision) I guess it went right to his phone-he replied that they were at the "Dayton Hamvention" all week (explains why their voicemail box filled up) so they will send my antenna out Monday.
Nice to know what's happening-nice of Larry to respond so fast.

Ah well... better late than never. :)

ridgescan

Just set up the PAR and boy it is nice. Very impressive. Here is what I see right off the bat
-stronger and quieter carrier.
-way better voice. -same noise floor between stations but what this thing does to the signals is fantastic. Here's a video of a 7500 watter out of Brazil.
Shortwave South America - YouTube

and this is the same station on my 100' wire back on April 9 for comparison (account for propogation too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVCu05i1IXE

right now I am getting VOA out of Rwanda on 12025 peaking at +20 over 9.
Get one.
It does some things better than the 100' like MW is cleaner. Less noise injected into signals across the bands.

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Well your radio is much better than my Grundig G5. While I can hear the same stations, the noise floor is higher for me. I do live right under high power lines. Yeah, the big tower high power lines. Perhaps 100' away. What can I say, I loved the house more than the hobby. I hope I'm not banned for that statement! ;)

Now I'm presuming you physically grounded that line, as opposed to RF ground, but what I would like to know is the orientation of the wire. N/S, E/W something between? Knowing that gives me more to consider.

My concern is whether throwing money at my problem with a new receiver and antenna, would even make a difference with the noise floor I'm probably getting with the high power lines. I know there's a Wellbrook that might resolve my issue, but that's a bit of money to throw at something that might work. If I'm doomed, I'll learn to appreciate what I can receive and enjoy side trips to a 6000 foot antenna known as the Sierra's, or the Pacific Coast.

ridgescan

Hey vagrant- I will tell you this-I have power lines level with my antenna running down the street not 20' from it. I do have the PAR grounded to the fire escape system of my building..both PAR ground terminals shorted and connected to the groundwire. I also have a ground to cold waterpipe here in the shack at the antenna switch. I hadda do ground up here cause I am on the top floor-too far to earth. I have the PAR running straight horizontal north-south. I would experiment with grounding if I had your home. You can run a PAR with the matchbox nearest a groundpoint like an outside cold waterpipe. Is your coax braid grounded? It would make a big difference believe me. Without my grounds I'd be deaf here. I can tell you those power lines make a racket on my antennas without ground.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I'll check the ground to the long wire balun. It could be better and have a shorter run. I relocated the antenna the other day to experiment and went with the laziest/worst route for the ground.

I think that's great you're picking up 11780 with a N/S run. It's weak for me and the noise is making it unintelligible. I can discern music and voice, but that's as good as I get.

I figure if I can get this G5 to pull in some difficult stations with a longwire and balun, it would be worth it to upgrade the receiver and antenna. I'd setup an RF ground as well with the new kit.

Anyways, thanks for the post and your findings with the PAR.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As the G5 is a little portable, it is quite possible that it won't like a low impedance input (coax) all that well - it's simply not designed for it. Receivers like the R75 and the Alinco are, and that's one reason why Ridgescan has had success with his setup.

I would also avoid making the wire antenna too long - at some point, it's just going to be too much RF for a little portable and overloading will be the result. But what the hey, you won't hurt anything by trying it.

I would start by reorienting the antenna - get it as far from those power lines as you can, and if you can, run it at right angles to them. Grounding may also help - and there has been extensive discussions on what makes a good RF ground on this board and other places. Bottom line is, that a single 8 foot rod driven into the ground might not cut it unless you have a high water table (swampy) . In addition, if you can, get the antenna as far away from the home as possible. Only then would I consider a 9:1 transformer like the one WinRadio sells (via Grove).

I would also investigate whether the noise is only coming from the antenna. Wall warts are notorious for being causes of noise - sometimes you need to choke that off, or even replace it. Most of these are in cheap plastic with next to nothing shielding around them. A simple test would be to run the G5 on batteries, then on the wall wart. If the noise level goes up, remediation is in order.

HTH...Mike

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Thanks ka3jjz - your points confirm what I figured to be the things to do, or already did. I'm going to purchase a Grundig 750 and see where that gets me and keep the G5 portable for when I'm portable.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks ka3jjz - your points confirm what I figured to be the things to do, or already did. I'm going to purchase a Grundig 750 and see where that gets me and keep the G5 portable for when I'm portable.

You're missing the point. Buy a *real* shortwave receiver. Grundig =! nyet

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I was just looking into that R75 model. Plenty of features as well as add-on's. Odd I didn't spot that particular one when searching eBay an hour ago. I'll keep an eye on it. Any decent receiver, than what I have now, would be nice.

I'm a casual SWL'er. I also enjoy using the receiver to plot aircraft via HF-ACARS. I use the poor man's way to set the BFO to TDC by tuning into one of the NIST frequencies and since I can typically receive Colorado and Hawaii, I just turn on the SSB and tune the BFO until I hear the tones synchronize via the harmonics. That does the trick for clear HFDL.

I think the Icom R75 is what I need. I'm just fighting with myself over spending the money on that, versus other things. My biggest concern is the huge power line towers and if they're killing the noise floor, why waste the money on a nice receiver.

ridgescan

maybe this weekend you can put in some experimentation time with the grounding thing. Just like with this PAR antenna I just got-they give you 3 different ways to ground-naturally me being me I had to utilize a 4th (LOL) to make it work best for my situation here. Just try a cold waterpipe ground for starters and you may be surprized.

Status
Not open for further replies.