Center feed or end fed dipole

Status
Not open for further replies.

7designs

I have the grundig G6 and have a 100ft long wire antenna. This easily overloads the G6 using the ext ant connector but does OK with alligator clip on the built in antenna.

I am looking to go a different route now that I have my tower up.(tower was put up for other radio/scanner antennas)

I do enjoy building and experimenting with antennas but I don't like climbing my tower that often, what do you think would be better for the little g6, end feed or center feed? Or is there a better design out there for small portables?

Looking at these designs:
Build a Multiband Shortwave Antenna - Simple Shortwave Antennas for Shortwave Radios!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A good sized dipole is likely to fare just as poorly as 100 foot of wire on the G6, and for many of the same reasons.

These little portables simply aren't built to take that amount of input from an antenna - any good sized dipole is likely to overload it. You *might* get away with one built for 19 or 16 meters (regardless of whether you use a center fed or end fed design) , but even that might be too much.

I wouldn't put more than 20-25 foot of wire, tops, on these little portables if you live on the East Coast (and I see that you do...). The low-gain battery powered loops and even a small battery powered antenna like the North County active antenna are other possibilities, as is a small cut-down version of the Carpet Loop. Think small and low gain. Getting the antenna away as far as you can from the home is the best route.

HTH...Mike

majoco

Stirrer
Personally I wouldn't bother with a DX160 - you need something digital and stable to find the utility stations. Frequently available on Fleabay - Yaesu FRG7 (The 'frog'!), FRG7700, FRG8800, Kenwood R1000, R2000, R5000 in ascending order of price and quality for each maker.

Here is a list of damn near everything available or recent - some of which are well outside the finances of even the most affluent listener!

eHam.net Reviews - Receivers: General Coverage
============================================================
The FRG7, in its native form, was never digital - however a few enterprising folks did put a digital display (or attach an external unit to give it a digital readout).

I had a FRG7 for many years; it's a decent enough performer, but lacking in the digital decoding department. The tuning is just too coarse and makes it difficult to use for all but the strongest signals.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

k9rzz

Send a neighbor kid up there and place a pulley or two for antenna experimentation. The rope ought to last
a few years before it needs to be replaced.

If you're in the mood for an upgrade, check out the eham.net reviews. You can get yourself into
a better table top receiver for a few hundred $ and not have to worry about overload anymore. I
recommend a used Drake, Icom, or NRD general coverage, but the choices are endless. You
might even stop at a hamfest and find a deal, or even Craigslist. How much shack space do you have? Fill it up!
icon7.gif

7designs

What do you all think about the Hallicrafters S-20R Sky Champion Shortwave?

ridgescan's videos has perked my interest in playing with tube radios, something fascinating about the old radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.