New AOR Loop Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
Will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the Wellbrook and Pixel loops.

n0ypd

The Pixle pro 1B is not cheap either ,and same price as AOR LA 390 plus it says up to 500MHZ,and the AOR is much smaller,so i don't know,it's got me thinking a bit.

SCPD

QRT
The Pixle pro 1B is not cheap either ,and same price as AOR LA 390 plus it says up to 500MHZ,and the AOR is much smaller,so i don't know,it's got me thinking a bit.

I hope you're kidding. Avoid the AOR stuff at all costs. I'd rather get the PixelSat loop than the AOR.

Wellbrook makes two loops for indoor use if you're looking for something like that...

http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/antennashop/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=58

LA5030-2 Indoor North Amer. ver. with PSU

n0ypd

BDM123

Why do you say a void at all cost? Is it because of the cost itself or what? I am not really seeing any negative reports on the antennas.Unless i am missing something.

On the same side of the coin, Wellbrook loops and Pixels loop are well proven in the field. They work and work well. You know what you're getting. I've found no post on the AOR so the jury is out. Once it has been properly tested and tested against the others, then we may debate which is better and does the cost justify it's purchase. As it stands now if I was in the Market for an antenna and beyond building your own. I wouldn't look any farther than the WB or Pixel pure and simple.

SCPD

QRT
Why do you say a void at all cost? Is it because of the cost itself or what? I am not really seeing any negative reports on the antennas.Unless i am missing something.

From my past history with AOR products, I don't put much faith in them. And yes, the price doesn't help either.

YMMV of course.

n0ypd

I just love the size of the loop,which makes it more portable IMO.and is what i am looking for.I am a ham as you can tell by my call,so i have lots of antennas to play with. I am just concerned with portability.

BDM123

I just love the size of the loop,which makes it more portable IMO.and is what i am looking for.I am a ham as you can tell by my call,so i have lots of antennas to play with. I am just concerned with portability.

You have about a 7" circumference difference between this AOR loop and the Pixel/WB loops. Of course Nick did point out WB makes an indoor loop. If you need a loop above 30/MHz then this is for you beyond building your own.

SCPD

QRT

greeer57

I have noticed that the price of the AOR LA400, the LA390 replacement, also has gone up quite a bit. I wonder if it has to do with controls moved onto the remote unit. I have the Grundig AN200 loop but I don't know its impedance Z of this antenna. Anybody knows?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
'Impedance Z'???

You're trying to compare 2 very different animals. The AN200 is a MW only passive loop basically set up for portables (although it probably could be adapted to work with desktop receivers), while the 390/400 is a wide band active loop.

The AN200 has no active circuits (i.e. wide band amplifier) in it - hence that's likely a good chunk of the price difference. I suspect that the 2 wire connection would be a rather high impedance and you would need a transformer to get it down to 50-70 ohms for a coax input for a desktop, but I suspect that's pretty doable...

Mike

greeer57

Sorry. I meant Z as a symbol of impedance. I meant only the impedance of the AN 200. But I read your answer. I am hoping to make the right kind of a balun for the 500 ohm input. (to receive medium wave AM)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You didn't say anything about what radio you want to use this with, but some of the desktops have a hi impedance input (the R75 does), so you wouldn't need any transformer.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.