A Quick Question Regarding Par Electronics EF-SWL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFreeMan

I purchased a Par Electronics EF-SWL recently for a Grundig/Eton Satellit 750. But I bought the incorrect adapter. I know that the Satellit 750 uses a BNC-type antenna connector and that the Par Electronics EF-SWL uses an SO239. I just need a little clarification on what coaxial adapter or cable I would need to purchase.

-Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You would need a length of coax with a PL-259 on one end (to connect to the PAR) and a BNC Male on the other (to connect to the 750). Alternately you could use an adapter that goes from a SO-239 to a BNC male - making the connector on both ends of the coax a PL-259. At HF frequencies the loss in such an arrangement is insignificant.

Just remember to waterproof the connection for the PAR - double wrap in electrical tape, then silicone sealant. Coax can and does eventually suck in the moisture, and that ruins it.

HTH...Mike

SCPD

QRT
I purchased a Par Electronics EF-SWL recently for a Grundig/Eton Satellit 750. But I bought the incorrect adapter. I know that the Satellit 750 uses a BNC-type antenna connector and that the Par Electronics EF-SWL uses an SO239. I just need a little clarification on what coaxial adapter or cable I would need to purchase.

-Thanks

Buy the appropriate length of coax -- RG8 or RG8x coax (with PL-259s on each end) and then buy this:

BNC to PL-259 Adapter : Adapters | RadioShack.com

TheFreeMan

Thanks, I bought the coaxial cables for the longwire antenna. They worked with the Satellit 750's input. The reception on the EF-SWL is amazing. I used to only receive a few religious stations out of Virginia and Tennessee, along with a few Spanish and Portugese stations. Now shortwave seems alive with stations all throughout the Americas and from Europe. :D

SCPD

QRT
Thanks, I bought the coaxial cables for the longwire antenna. They worked with the Satellit 750's input. The reception on the EF-SWL is amazing. I used to only receive a few religious stations out of Virginia and Tennessee, along with a few Spanish and Portugese stations. Now shortwave seems alive with stations all throughout the Americas and from Europe. :D

Yep that's fairly normal from your part of the country. You'll pick up a lot of European signals late in the day and at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.