Recommendation for an antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortride

Premium Subscriber
I just bought an ICOM IC-R75 receiver and would like to hear what all of the seasoned HF receiver monitors would recommend for an antenna.

shortride

Premium Subscriber
I highly recommend the Wellbrook Active Loops I use 3 them on my HF receivers.

Regards Lino..

I take it you have 3 receiver? Will the loop antenna receive everything and as well as a wire antenna?

Dane

Last edited:

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
I've been using this antenna with my R-75s for around 10 or so years with very good results.

LF Engineering H-900 Gain Probe Antenna

While I also have some other antennas, `long wire' types, I mostly use the H900 because of it's `omnidirectionality, `range' of coverage. and resistance to overloading while still being fairly `sensitive'. Another `feature', if you need it, is it is also fairly `stealthy'.

shortride

Premium Subscriber
A general short-wave antenna comparison question.

Space being available to hang a wire antenna, is it wise to use one verses an active loop antenna or one of the other style active antennas? I get a little confused reading comparison of wire shortwave antennas verses active antennas where some of the comparisons almost sound like a contradiction. I read one comment that said that a particular active antenna reception was at least as good as a wire antenna. Other than space availability or the lack of, what are the disadvantages only of both type?

Last edited:

VE3CRO

Premium Subscriber
Loop: Less sensative, much more expensive. Dificult to DIY.
Wire: More suseptible to QRN and QRM (noise).

In your situation I would first experiment with wire antennas. With little financial output you will discover what frequency ranges you wish to explore more fully. This has a great impact on design. You will also soon discover how badly your location is affected by 'noise'. DIY will allso provide a great education and enhance your enjoyment of the hobby. Google 'long wire antennas' 'off centre fed dipole' and 'beverage' for a start.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I will ask to have this thread moved to the forum E-Man correctly identified...

In any case, I agree that a wire antenna can be done with relatively little money. However you'll also get valuable experience in soldering and constructing your own antennas, which in and of itself is a great educational tool.

I would point out that there are wire loops as well as the fixed ones such as the Wellbrook or the Pixel. These are sometimes called 'skyloops', and also have the lower noise floor capability that the fixed loops do. They are also great antennas for hearing things at long distances.

One of the most popular of these - there are several variations - used by hams is called the delta loop. Usually these are tuned for a specific band, but for receive purposes, they'll work just fine across a wide swath of frequencies. You've got the room (and here I am, a condo owner - in the ham world, we're referred to as 'cave dwellers') and I'm bloody envious...anyway I believe I've got a link or two on that in the loops wiki. If not, just google 'delta loop'; no doubt you'll get several hits

Mike

shortride

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input guys. The Pixel Technologies magnetic loop antenna is pretty impressive if it actually does what the video indicates.

I'll most likely have to go with a simple wire antenna as soon as I can find someone to build one for me. Unfortunately with my service connected disability I don't have full mobility of my right hand so I can't do much by myself. That's a bummer having to depend so much on others. I was at one time pretty handy with a soldiering gun. I use to build my own die pole CB antennas.

Loop: Less sensative, much more expensive. Dificult to DIY.
Wire: More suseptible to QRN and QRM (noise).

In your situation I would first experiment with wire antennas. With little financial output you will discover what frequency ranges you wish to explore more fully. This has a great impact on design. You will also soon discover how badly your location is affected by 'noise'. DIY will allso provide a great education and enhance your enjoyment of the hobby. Google 'long wire antennas' 'off centre fed dipole' and 'beverage' for a start.

What makes a loop antenna so difficult to build?

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are some reviews on the site, and I'm pretty sure there's some stuff on the eHam reviews area as well.

What makes the Pixel somewhat attractive is avoiding having to pay customs tariffs and import fees, which you would no doubt have to do with the Wellbrook, since they're in the UK...Mike

VE3CRO

Premium Subscriber
My comment was in reference to small loops, similar to the one suggested. A small loop is really quite difficult to match.

shortride

Premium Subscriber
I just looked at a magnetic loop antenna that I really liked. Anyone ever build anything like this? I would love to have the plans for this one.

Attachments

• loop3small.jpg
    loop3small.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 3,174
Last edited:

shortride

Premium Subscriber
Here is a site you should find very helpful. I did when I was playing with loops a number of years ago:

Magnetic Loop Antennas, Magnetic Loop Info, How to Build A Magnetic Loop, W2BRI Loops

And another interesting bit:

Mobile Loop

Been there done that one already. I'm not finding anything that distinguished the difference between an antenna for receiving only and one for TX. An antenna that going to have power run through it may have requirement that a receive only antenna does not have or need. That's what I'm trying to determine.

Like the question that I have about the variable resistor used. Is the formula and or a calculator used for a transmitting Magnetic loop antenna different than that of one for receive only? There may not be any difference I just haven't found anything yet that tell me that.

k9rzz

Be sure to post some logs. Would love to know what you're hearing!
icon10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.