Sony AN-LP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDad

I have one of these that I use with my ICF-SW7600GR. I have tried making a few different antennas and mounting them up inside and nothing does a better job, (so far) than the AN-LP1.

What else could I try? I am concerned that erecting a 'proper' antenna outside might be too much for a portable.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The AN-LP1 is very hard to find. There was one on the used equipment table at the Winterfest. It's a fine addition for portables.

What do you mean by a 'proper' antenna? I would hesitate to put a 100 foot random wire on it, but it's quite possible it could handle 20-30 foot without too much overloading - but as always, YMMV....Mike

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It is my understanding that the AN-LP1 was designed to be used with the ICF-SW7600GR. And the use of batteries in the AN-LP1 is unnecessary. The DC output on the antenna jack supply's the necessary voltage for the AN-LP1.

If you use a external antenna other than the recommended antennas, then you would want to make your connection at the telescoping antenna.

I have never used a ICF-SW7600GR, but I have a AN-LP1 and IMO it is a great antenna for a portable.

The AN-LP1 used to be very hard to find, but ATM I see 18 for sale on ebay. And the price is considerably higher than when I purchased mine.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Be very careful if you do connect anything to the whip antenna. Any little static discharge will likely blow an amp or two in line with the antenna....Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As I said in my original reply, the answer is 'maybe'. You won't be able to put a very long wire on a portable without likely overloading. It won't damage the radio, but you'll start hearing a lot of junk (maybe local MW/FM signals) on places on the dial it's not supposed to be.

You could probably get away with putting 20-30 foot of wire outside, but you won't have the ability to resist certain types of noise that the LP1 would normally reject.

The problem here is the radio is a portable; it really can't handle the signal levels that, say a 100 foot random wire, could deliver. A radio like the Icom R75 or Alinco R8T could handle this because it's built for this (SDRs too)

Mike

ab3a

I am always cautious about recommending an indoor antenna. It could be a very good device and yet still pick up horrible amounts of indoor interference.

If you get this antenna away from the house you will hear a lot more. Take it camping or drive to a parking lot in the middle of nowhere and then shut down your car. You'll be amazed at what you hear.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
It is my understanding that the AN-LP1 was designed to be used with the ICF-SW7600GR. And the use of batteries in the AN-LP1 is unnecessary. The DC output on the antenna jack supply's the necessary voltage for the AN-LP1.

If you use a external antenna other than the recommended antennas, then you would want to make your connection at the telescoping antenna.

I have never used a ICF-SW7600GR, but I have a AN-LP1 and IMO it is a great antenna for a portable.

The AN-LP1 used to be very hard to find, but ATM I see 18 for sale on ebay. And the price is considerably higher than when I purchased mine.

Hi,

When you mention that the use of batteries is unnecessary, do you mean in general, or only for the Sony radios?

I have a Radio Shack DX-398 (Sangean ATS-909), which does have an external antenna jack. I have used a spool antenna with it, but at times I find the whip is better.

My question really is: will the AN-LP1 work, without the batteries, in the DX-398? Is there voltage in the external antenna jack with this radio as well? How would I find out something like that?

Thanks,
Jim

E-Man

Banned
The batteries are required for the Sony AN-LP1 Antenna for use in ALL radio's with the exception of the Sony ICF-SW7600GR (maybe other select sonys?).

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR line, is the only radios I am aware of that have a hot antenna jack.

The DX-398 owners manual pg. 9 says "you can connect an optional external antenna (such as Cat. No. 20-181)"

RadioShack Inverted V Multiband Shortwave Antenna Cat 20 181 | eBay

The 20-181 length is 65' the 398's owners manual makes no mention of external antenna limitations. The Sony ICF7600GR states something like only use recommended external antenna.

I think the Sony AN-LP1 is a good antenna, but I did recommend to a member years ago, and the member hated it. I felt bad over it, and try to be cautious with any recommendations now.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
IMHO, it's junk. I've had two of them, one brand new, as a "backup" and it was pretty much useless, and recently I got one as part of a deal on an Icom R71a. It worked just like the first one did, a hunk of wire was better, as it didn't amplify noise along with everything else.

Eickerman

Premium Subscriber
Actually not quite true.

If you use the AN-LP1 with a SW7600GR, the radio power only controls whether the preamp is turned on or not, but the preamplifer in the antenna box actually always gets its operating power from the internal AA batteries when the antenna is in use.

Why they did this isn't clear to me, but that is the way I found my SW7600GR/AN-LP1 operates and it matches what I see in the schematic of the service manual.

The preamp in the antenna box only pulls about 6 mA when it is turned on, so the batteries last a long time, but I do find it annoying since my radio is powered from a wall-wart, but I still consume batteries in the antenna box.

Curtis Eickerman

E-Man

Banned
Ha, I guess I was confused then when I read the owners manual. Thanks for the correction.

Eickerman

Premium Subscriber
Ha, I guess I was confused then when I read the owners manual. Thanks for the correction.
Yeah, it says something ambigous that had me thinking I didn't need the batteries installed to work and I was very frustrated thinking the thing was broken. Finally I installed batteries and things worked, so I downloaded the service manual to figure out why.

The only thing accomplished when connected to the radio is that if the radio is OFF the AN-LP1 stops drawing power from its battery too assuming its switch is in the OFF position. This is convenient because you don't end up with a dead battery in the AN-LP1 because of forgetting to turn it off when the radio turns off. Also nice if using the radio's automatic shut-off.

Then if the radio is turned ON, the AN-LP1 also turns ON even with its switch is in the OFF position but it is actually drawing power from its own battery.

Curtis Eickerman

TCBreslin

How does this thing (AN-LP1) work?

I was just given one of these, along with a Sony SW7600 but with no instructions. I can't find any in English online. I understand how the antenna snaps together and how it plugs into the radio. I don't understand what happens next or how to use it. So, I don't even know if mine works. HELP. If you have an instruction manual or link, please send me an e-mail at TCBreslin@aol.com or let me know here. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.