Terk Advantage Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojo11221

Is there away to hook up my Terk Advantage Antenna to my Grundig Satellit 750?. The Terk antenna came with a connecting cord with a jack on one end to fit in the antenna. The other end is just two bared wires. I tried soldering a jack to it so it would go into the rotating antenna on top of the radio. It works well close to the radio but just wondered if it would work better connected. Thanks .

liquidgee

Contact Manufacturer or Antenna Installer

Is there away to hook up my Terk Advantage Antenna to my Grundig Satellit 750?. The Terk antenna came with a connecting cord with a jack on one end to fit in the antenna. The other end is just two bared wires. I tried soldering a jack to it so it would go into the rotating antenna on top of the radio. It works well close to the radio but just wondered if it would work better connected. Thanks .

I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer either by phone or email as a first line of getting information about this as there may be an adapter that makes this possible. Other sources of info would be contacting the Ham Radio Outlet nearest you for their input. Also, putting forth an inquiry to a professional antenna installation service in your area (a search on the internet should be adequate if none is found in the local yellow pages) might do you right on this.

There's a company in my neck of the woods called New England Antenna Service located in Epsom, NH that seems to be up on this kind of thing. I've yet to use them but judging from their webpage they seem to be well versed in any and all aspects of antenna installations and needs. Their phone number is 800-339-5507.

Hope the above suggests sets you on the right track.

Boombox

Does the 750 have an external antenna input, for SW and MW long wire / random wire antennas? I would try connecting it there.

But it may or may not be better than sitting the antenna next to the radio. One plus with using a loop by sitting it near to the radio (inductive coupling) is you can vary the distance between the loop and the radio's loop, which can make the overall tuning a bit more selective.

I've used this method to get a bit more selectivity when using a loop with radios that do not have real DX selectivity (like some walkman style radios).

hfflunki

The ext mw antenna jack is located on the midle rear side of the rotary antenna and the "rotary" or Bnc are for sw and fm the terk is a mw antenna it won't work with sw

hfflunki

To clarify the am antenna jack is located in the center of the ferrite bar that rotates I've gone through 3 of these radios since they came out

Boombox

I'd plug the connector cable from the Terk antenna into the MW jack. Just wire a matching plug to the bare wires on the connector cable coming from the Terk.

You might get better results, and then you might not. No harm in trying.

What I think it will do is switch the 750's loop out of the circuit and replace it with the Terk, but not knowing that much about the 750 I'm not sure.

Boombox

Plugging the Terk into the 750 the way I described wouldn't modify the 750.

But I think that if there is an EXT antenna jack on the MW loop antenna on the 750, when you plug the Terk into it, it will turn the 750's own MW loop off.

That's how EXT antenna jacks work on some other radios. You plug in an external antenna, the internal antenna is switched out of the circuit.

hfflunki

I understand that. I thought he wanted to take the ferrite bar I did that exact thing with the terk I own don't own a 750 anymore good radio but another antenna isn't really necessary for mw the rotatable
Antenna is very good

Status
Not open for further replies.