Ok what is it

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
I recently acquired two Realistic DX-100 receivers and one of them came with this antenna in the box. The connectionon it doesn't fit on the receivers which leaves me to believe the person who sold them to me had no idea it didn't go with them. Any ideas on what type this is? Theres no markings on it. It looks like a shortwave antenna from the websites I checked. The seller claimed it was a HY-Gain but I can't find anything on their site or past catalogs.

Attachments

• antenna 1.jpg
    antenna 1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 652
  • antenna 2.jpg
    antenna 2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 626
  • antenna 3.jpg
    antenna 3.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 619
  • antenna 4.jpg
    antenna 4.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 617

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
I figured so is it a scanner antenna or can it be used for shortwave if I cut the connector off?

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Yep that's what the guy said and he said it was a hy gain but I can't find anything on their site. It's old but should still work.

jackj

I don't know who the manufacturer is but it looks like an end fed, short-wave antenna. A lot of companies threw them together and sold them with cheap, general-coverage receivers. A good profit item, a few bucks worth of parts and you could sell it for 5 to 10 times the cost. Seems like I had a cheap Hammarlund or Hallicrafters receiver that used a Motorola connector as well as two screw connectors.

elk2370bruce

Hallicrafters used the motorola plug on their low-end receivers, Hammarlund used SO-239 on their rigs so an antenna like this could be easily converted. They are not great antennas but better than internal or simple extending whip antennas. I agree that this a simple end-fed antenna for SWL.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
If I was to put this outside, How high up should it go and should I ground it?

Boombox

Put it up as high as you can, and I would ground it when not using it, for lightning and static discharge protection.

Even a low wire outside will bring in stations. I had real good luck with a 100 footer that was maybe 15-20 ft up.

But in general they say the higher the better.

jackj

Tom,
It really won't make any difference how high you put this type of antenna. The major effect height above ground will have is on the radiation pattern. I don't believe you should put any wire in the air without some type of lightning protection so work out a ground system that will protect both you and your equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.