Replacement whip for ICF-2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.

svenmarbles

Premium Subscriber
So, I made quite a find today at an antique shop. I came across a Sony ICF-2010 in nearly new condition for $25. I turned it on in the shop, tuned around a bit on regular AM, inspected the battery terminals, condition of buttons etc.. It all checked out and it turned out to be a very functionally and cosmetically sound 2010, which based on the serial number was manufactured around 1991. It wasn't until I got home and started playing with it more that I noticed that the whip on this thing at some point was replaced by a shorter one (like one you might find on a standard am/fm radio). When fully retracted and laid down across the case it only sits within half the length of the "cradle" area..

So, my question is,.. Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find a replacement? It just needs to be replaced from where the screw secures it to the rotating pivot part, where the antenna meets the radio.

tdevine78

I replaced the whip on my 2010 around 5 years ago and was able to order the part from Sony directly. I remember ordering one using their website with the part # listed in the manual. Hopefully that is still the case for you, good luck!

ridgescan

Got any old portables lying around the house you don't use that have a whip antenna? It's simple-any larger whip's "foot" that will slip into the swivel seat of the antenna base on your Sony and accept the securing screw will work. You could even cut a whip from another old radio at the low end where its width would be one sleeve up from the width of that little one on your Sony, and just slip it right over that existing whip. Then just seal the first section with shrink tubing:)
IMO there is no need to buy when you can fab.

Boombox

Radio Shack still sells whip antennas, I think. I've replaced whips that were broken on a boombox and I got the longest one I could that would fit the radio.

Sometimes if the whip end doesn't fit the pivot on your radio you can file it thinner (if needed) or use a washer. I had to do this with mine.

svenmarbles

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the advice guys. In the mean time I have a longwire strung up and am really enjoying this radio. I've been a shortwave enthusiast since I was a kid, and have only owned inexpensive radios (except for a Grundig Satelit 800) till now. The past couple of nights have been a lot of fun. I'm going to order the OEM telescoping whip just to keep the radio original, but I made myself a nice longwire from some speaker wire I found that seems to be doing a nice job.

Status
Not open for further replies.