GE Superadio/external antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

azobel

I hooked one up a Palomar Loop Antenna (that works great with my CC Radio) but it doesn’t work on my Superadio. It looks like the Superadio external AM antenna connection is tied to a coil at the end of the ferrite rod with very low resistance. Do I need to use a long wire antenna with the Superadio? The CC Radio external AM antenna connection shows a lot more resistance and connects to the PC board. I was wondering if anyone could explain what is going on here.

Thanks,
Andy

majoco

Stirrer
According to the schematic the external antenna circuit is just an overwind on the normal AM tuned coil - - the loop connection is just a few turns in the Palomar and IMHO will shunt the ferrite tuned circuit killing the sensitivity. A short longwire (?) say 20 feet or so will probably be sufficient - any more and you risk overloading the RF stages of the radio. Have you tried just bringing the Palomar close to the radio and tuning it to the same weak station? Works pretty well for a lot of guys.

Last edited:

azobel

It looks as though there's more than one way to hook up an external antenna. Add a wire to the existing ferrite rod or add a whole other loop antenna that takes the place of the internal AM antenna.

majoco

Stirrer
Like I always say...."One test is worth a thousand opinions"....just don't stuff up a perfectly good radio! :)

Boombox

It looks as though there's more than one way to hook up an external antenna. Add a wire to the existing ferrite rod or add a whole other loop antenna that takes the place of the internal AM antenna.

From what little info I can find on the Palomar loop you need to use the LC1 loop coupler.

Palomar Engineers LC1 Loop Coupler

Or like Majoco suggested, set the loop next to the Superadio and see if it will couple inductively.

I use several unamplified loops with my Superadios -- a 1.5 ft. box crate loop, a SelectATenna, a Radio Shack loop -- and all work fine with the Superadio inductively.

azobel

You know, I found that I don't really need an external antenna for the GE SR3. I just bought this one on ebay and It really works well as my kitchen radio up on the window sill. I was cleaning it up and curious to see how it worked with my Palomar Loop. That's when I noticed it did nothing. I actually did put the Palomar Loop near it to inductively couple and still no effect. Nothing on my CC Radio either but when I hook it up to the external antenna on the CC Radio, it works beautifully, nulling out the locals. Who knows...

Boombox

Some GE Superadio IIIs are very good DXers. I have one that matches (or beats) other SR's.

Still, if you want to boost the signal with the SR3 a bit, even a small external loop will add a decibel or two. A Terk, Select-A-Tenna, or perhaps the Eton AN-100 (not sure I got the number right) will give the SR3 an extra edge.

azobel

I did hear that some SR3's are better than others. Not sure if it's the components or the alignment.

That was a good video of the external antenna. Wow what a difference and mechanically directional! Never knew they had those.

I just bought a EF-SWL antenna from LnR Precision and put it up in the sloper position. It works really nice on SW/Ham but for AM broadcast, I seem to need a directional/null capable antenna more, with all the big transmitters around.

ridgescan

Thanks azobel. The loop is a fantastic antenna. Very directional in MW and somewhat directional in HF. I was reading you guys in here and I had to give it a try on mine (which is a SR ll) and once I saw it for myself, figured it was worth a video to show how much of a difference the external makes.
As for the radio, it is the most selective and sensitive portable I have and I enjoy it.

Boombox

My SR2 is excellent also but not so good with headphones. I think it's the voicing of the audio circuits, works better on speaker than through headphones. The speaker adds a bit of midrange that is lost through the headphone jack.

I don't have the same issue with the SR3 or my SR1 for some reason.

I do most of my DXing with headphones. Seem to hear more that way.....

majoco

Stirrer
Good video, Ridgy - it seems that the SRll will tolerate 300ohms impedance across the terminals but not the very low impedance of a Palomar loop.

You need a big desk to put your radios on - I'd hate to see the Halli topple that little table!

ridgescan

Thanks for the tech info Marty, and you're right about my needing a big enough desk to handle including the '88, but luckily that old leathertop table is very strong and stable:) I'm kinda pinched for room here but when me and my gal get our house, I am going to make sure there will be a radio bench in a room dedicated to the hobby.

majoco

Stirrer
I am going to make sure there will be a radio bench in a room dedicated to the hobby.

Think big, man! Parkinson's law extended "Radios expand to fill the space available". A room dedicated to the radio hobby with the biggest bench you can find! Turn a deaf ear to any mention of a "Sewing Room" or "Hobby Room" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.