Grundig Satellit 750 Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvwinters

I received a Satellit 750 shortwave radio for XMAS. Unfortunately I am not able to receive many stations with the radio's built in antenna. Probably no surprise there. I live in a small house on a small residential lot so don't have much room for a large external antenna. My research indicates that I can simply run a wire outside. My question has to do with the type of wire and especially with the routing of the wire. Can I simply tack it onto the side of the house (loop it around the entire house) or on the 6 foot fence that divides my property with neighbors, or do I need something more elaborate? My apologies for not being knowledgable about the subject. I am just getting into the hobby (shortwave listening) but am a bit frustrated with the signal. I live in Corvallis Oregon. Thanks for any advice.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Being in the Pacific NW, your signal levels are going to be weaker than we have here on the East Coast. You can put a bit more antenna on that 750, and not have to worry about overloading quite as much,

Yes, either idea will work - you really don't need to be elaborate when you're just getting off the ground. In fact our HF Antennas wiki might have some ideas for you...(links are always in blue)

HF Antennas - The RadioReference Wiki

How big is your lot? Do you have trees that you can use? It's always best to get the antenna away from the house (there are so many things in your home that can generate noise...) as far away as possible. Even a small lot can have a nice antenna or two (think about the perimeter of your lot...)

Of course, the Wellbrook and Pixel Loops are possibilities, but they are expensive. Let's see if we can use the KISS principle here first.

Mike

cvwinters

Thanks Mike. I will try the wire tacked onto the house. The lot is very small. I do have 2 small trees in the back yard. I suppose I could string wire between the trees. I see you are from Bowie. I grew up in a small town in western Maryland.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You're not the first Easterner whom I've talked to that has moved to Oregon. Lots of stories to be told about that...another time...

Just how big is your lot? Square footage wise? Sometimes the lot itself can present some opportunities - for example putting a wire around the perimeter would get you more that just wrapping it around the house. And what about these trees? How big are they?

Wrapping it around the house would work, but with a caveat - it would pick up every noise source in the home itself rather easily. And if there are power lines or cables on the home, that could be another source of noise (and a potential hazard). Let's see what we can do about getting that antenna some air, before you do this...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.