Coax question for attic EF-SWL antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyair1

What would be a good coax to use for hooking up to a portable radio? I'm looking for something that would be pretty flexiable. I like to use my 909X in bed at nite to tune through it and need something for about a 25ft run to the attic antenna. This has the headphone style external antenna jack so i would probably need some type of adapter to plug it in. Is RG8X good for the shortwave freqs and that short of a run? Thanks

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
RG58 would be OK...RG174 would be OK...RG6 would be OK!

For that matter try just a wire in the attic that continues down into the room, into the mini plug and into the radio...fun part of this would be experimenting.

Adapters are a PITA and would make moving handling and moving the radio about problematic.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Be careful of putting any kind of stress on that el-cheapo connector - anything heavy is likely to stress it, and might in some cases break it. Better to construct a jumper, than put the connection to the antenna on that. Or use the project below to add some protection as well as a crude RF gain control...

http://forums.radioreference.com/receive-antennas-below-30mhz/295299-great-first-timer-project.html

Really the RG58 or 174 series will work fine here, as the other poster stated, in this case. It's really overkill (and it might be too heavy) to use RG8X or similar...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.