My AM DXing and SW Antenna Mobile Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioguy99

So today was the first chance I had to test my new DX Engineering RF Pro 1B Loop Antenna. Needless to say I am very happy with my purchase. I have it set up to hook it up to either the radio in my truck by simply disconnecting the regular antenna or using it on my Commradio CR1A. Today I was able to pull out 780 KOH from Reno at a mere 495 miles to the west! This was at 1:00 pm. My location was in Delle Utah. Halfway between Salt Lake City and Wendover. I will post my logs later on the other forum when I can.

My car stereo is a Sony CDX-GT270 AM/FM AND Shortwave. Like I stated, I am very happy with this antenna, the ONLY complaint I have is the fact they used a 24 Volt AC power supply to power the preamp. Why AC was used and not DC is beyond me. No problem. I just use my clean Sine Wave AC-DC inverter.

Will be doing a nighttime test from Wyoming possibly in the coming weeks and will give an update on how that goes.

Attachments

• LOOP PIC.jpg
    LOOP PIC.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 687
  • 20160612_202038.jpg
    20160612_202038.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 578

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is neat - although I must admit with the photo of the SUV and the whip, I thought at first it was one of those 'Big Brother' SUVs :.>>>

How long does it take you to assemble and disassemble? I don't think you want to be driving around with that loop on the back...Mike

radioguy99

This is neat - although I must admit with the photo of the SUV and the whip, I thought at first it was one of those 'Big Brother' SUVs :.>>>

How long does it take you to assemble and disassemble? I don't think you want to be driving around with that loop on the back...Mike

LOL, oh yeah. But I normally have 5 antennas on it but since I have been keeping my truck in the garage lately I didn't feel like screwing them all on :) And of course, no, I won't be driving around with it :)

This setup takes about 5-10 minutes tops to put up. So not long at all. I do have the rotor setup for it as well but forgot the thing when I did this first setup. This was basically to test to see how well it did and if there was anything that was needed for further expeditions.

I heard the DXE is going to be coming out with an 8 foot loop, whether this is actually true or not, I don't know. I guess we shall soon see. That would be quite an antenna for the mobile!

Status
Not open for further replies.