Using an-200 MW loop antenna with grundig satellit 750

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESM

I bought an AM loop antenna that has a cable with 2 bare wires and a 3.5mm stereo jack that plugs into the antenna. The radio has a 50 ohm female 3.5mm external antenna connector.

What do I use to hook it up ? Will this work ? I don't know why the antenna cable has 2 leads and a stereo plug on the other ? Shouldn't it be mono like this one ?

https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline...rd_wg=6r0oc&psc=1&refRID=YT06NSXTRB904VSBPK5Z

MTjaybyrd

Wireless AN-200

If your radio has a ferrite MW antenna, the AN-200 loop can be used passively without a wire connection.
Place the loop adjacent and perpendicular to the radio's ferrite rod after tuning to a weak station, then adjust the capacitor dial on the loop, and you should get a signal boost. Radios will differ, so try different arrangements between the loop and the radio until you find a sweet spot. Placing both on a lazy susan will enable you to null out interference.
The miniplug on the loop can be used for a wired connection to a set that has no built-in antenna. Or you can use the plug to attach a longwire outdoor antenna as an input to the loop, and then use the passive connection to your radio.
Note: The tuning dial on the AN-200 is mighty touchy and it's easy to go past the sweet spot.
My AN-200 helps with smaller radios with smaller built-in antennas, but it also gives a boost to my Panasonic RF-2200, which already has one of the best antennas ever made.

Boombox

As MTJaybyrd said, loops are probably best used coupled inductively. You can move the loop away from the radio and it will sometimes sharpen selectivity.

And tuning all loops like the AN200, Select-a-Tenna, homemade loops, etc. can be a bit touchy. You zero in and listen carefully for the best signal.

With some radios, you don't need to turn the radio also, you can just turn the loop (to a different bearing) and null stations and hear other stations in the null. But that depends on the radio.

Good luck, and enjoy the loop. I use my loops all the time. I don't have an AN200 but have others that are similar.

PS, the stereo plug may be included because some radios seem to have external antenna jacks that are stereo wired.

WA8ZTZ

Don't know why they use a 1/8" stereo plug on the antenna cable that comes with the AN200. A mono plug works just fine.

You have the option of inductively coupling the AN200 to the 750 (no cable necessary) or you can use a cable with a 1/8" mono plug on each end and with it connect the AN200 to the jack on the backside of the 750 ferrite bar (this disconnects the ferrite and feeds the AN200 directly into the 750). A third option is to inductively couple the AN200 to the 750 and plug a wire antenna into the AN200 via a 1/8" mono plug. Lots of choices and you will have to experiment to see which works best but in every case, tune the AN200 slooowly. Also, when inductively coupled, moving the AN200 closer or farther from the 750 can help with the tuning. When directly connected, rotating the AN200 can peak the desired signal and/or null an interfering signal.

The AN200 works well with my 750, it just takes some experimenting to find the right combination(s)... all part of the fun.

Steamed_Hams

ESM, thanks for asking this question, and W8ZTZ, thanks for your experienced reply!

I also have a Satellit 750 and had been looking at this antenna. But after reading radiojayallen's review of it, I assumed I might not need one; I mistakenly misread:

Assuming your portable or table radio has an internal ferrite rod antenna (most portables do…many table radios don’t) [...]
as implying that the AN200 might be kind of redundant with the 750. After all, the 750 has a (I suppose) pretty decent ferrite antenna right on the top which can be swiveled around to improve reception. Plus, the AN200 is pretty small, not one of those big ol' antennas us new SWLs drool over and which might take better advantage of the 750's external antenna jacks.

But I'm happy this thread was able to dispel my misconceptions! I'm looking forward to getting one very soon. Mediumwave DXing sounds very fun and interesting, plus the AN200 is extremely affordable. Thanks again for this thread, guys! :)

Boombox

ESM, thanks for asking this question, and W8ZTZ, thanks for your experienced reply!

I also have a Satellit 750 and had been looking at this antenna. But after reading radiojayallen's review of it, I assumed I might not need one; I mistakenly misread:

as implying that the AN200 might be kind of redundant with the 750. After all, the 750 has a (I suppose) pretty decent ferrite antenna right on the top which can be swiveled around to improve reception. Plus, the AN200 is pretty small, not one of those big ol' antennas us new SWLs drool over and which might take better advantage of the 750's external antenna jacks.

But I'm happy this thread was able to dispel my misconceptions! I'm looking forward to getting one very soon. Mediumwave DXing sounds very fun and interesting, plus the AN200 is extremely affordable. Thanks again for this thread, guys! :)

Just to ultra clear it up for ya: I have a Superadio and a Sangean PR-D5, both of which have substantial 200 mm internal loopsticks, and the external loops I have (that are probably very similar in size and performance to the AN200) increase the signal strength on both of those radios by a 1-2 db... which can be enough to ID a station or bring it in a little better, especially if that signal is really weak.

Good DX and have fun.

WA8ZTZ

The AN200 will usually provide a several db increase when used with my Satellit 750. This is sometimes enough to make the difference of logging a station or not. Boombox seems to have had the same experience with his radios and loops.

As you get more into this, you can experiment building your own loops. All kinds of books and info on the internet on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.