Dipole questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of building a 40 meter dipole my idea 33 to 34 feet of 14 or 12 awg wire on each side of a center insulator I also got some ladder line that I will attach to the center insulator my bug is my receiver only as a coaxial plug in back and I can't run a coax trough the wall landlord says no holes could I attach my ladder line that I will put in the window to a balun inside the house.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
For receiving only, you bet! But you could do the whole thing with coax...leave the window open just enough to allow the coax to enter, close the window on it, but not pinching it! Weatherstripping or a thin towel in the crack to close it up. The opening won't be much more than the twin lead

WA8ZTZ

If you are building a resonant dipole, just run some RG-58 from the center (assuming you are running barefoot) of the dipole to the rig and no need for a tuner. Optionally, you can place a balun at the center of the dipole if you wish.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
For receiving only, you bet! But you could do the whole thing with coax...leave the window open just enough to allow the coax to enter, close the window on it, but not pinching it! Weatherstripping or a thin towel in the crack to close it up. The opening won't be much more than the twin lead

Or cut a 2x4 to the width of your window. Drill a hole in the 2x4 large enough to feed your coax connector through, then set your 2x4 on the window sill and close the window against it. This may create a drafty gap, but you can plug that with some foam. And if security is a concern you could cut a dowl to the right length to use as a jam.

This photo from the inter webs shows the idea, but with a vertical installation...

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 98
Status
Not open for further replies.