RA0SMS Active Mini Whip

Status
Not open for further replies.

VK4012SWL

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here has or has used RA0SMS' mini whip antenna.
I will be using it with an RTL-SDR for HF utility and broadcast listening.

Also the eBay page says that BNC connectors are included and all you need is coax. Is that true?

Regards,
Sam

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A RTL-SDR only goes down to 25 Mhz, if memory serves. Are you using some sort of upconverter for HF coverage?

While this article is addressing using that antenna on a SDRPlay, not a RTL stick, the observations are worth noting. Not a particularly good performer, it seems - way too sensitive to E field noise (as are most all mini whips) and overloading issues. There seems to be some instability issues, too...

RA0SMS Miniwhip bad performance on SDRPlay - SDRplay Community Forum

What is your situation? It sounds like you're in a flat or other space where you can't put up antennas...as are lots of us (unfortunately)...Mike

VK4012SWL

What is your situation? It sounds like you're in a flat or other space where you can't put up antennas...as are lots of us (unfortunately)...Mike

I currently live in a suburban area and I am planning on riding my bike out to the local scout camp for a day and setting up. My dad runs a Wellbrook magloop and it is still an S4-6 noise floor.

A RTL-SDR only goes down to 25 Mhz, if memory serves. Are you using some sort of upconverter for HF coverage?

The rtl-sdr.com V3 has HF when you use Q-branch in SDR#

Status
Not open for further replies.