RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > Receive Antennas (below 30MHz)

Receive Antennas (below 30MHz) - For all topics related to receive antennas used on HF, MW, LW, etc. For transmit antennas use the Amateur Radio Antennas forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2018, 8:32 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSAPP View Post
Thank you for your input ridgescan.
Did you find that the original 44' for the PAR vs 100' wire made a significative difference in terms of HF aero listening? I've read many people use the standard 44' wire that come with the PAR with fantastic results, very good reviews...
Not a really significant difference regarding stronger signal reception in its broadside directions, no. But I did the 100' "lazy L" to hopefully give some broadside of the wire to signals north and south which they would not have if I just ran the east-west 44-footer. To give example to this hairbrained theory, the first 45' runs broadside to east-west, then turns and runs 55' broadside to north-south. I get great reception of stuff in all directions here in San Francisco. Everything from Asia to Africa to even Madagascar, NDBs in longwave way up in Canada and then out to Florida and etc. etc. With the original 44' I could not get as strong the stuff north/south. That includes hams and utilities.
'54 SX-88 #127 to 100' endfed wire/9:1 trans. @40'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to Larsen Tribander
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2018, 11:38 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgescan View Post
Not a really significant difference regarding stronger signal reception in its broadside directions, no. But I did the 100' "lazy L" to hopefully give some broadside of the wire to signals north and south which they would not have if I just ran the east-west 44-footer. To give example to this hairbrained theory, the first 45' runs broadside to east-west, then turns and runs 55' broadside to north-south. I get great reception of stuff in all directions here in San Francisco. Everything from Asia to Africa to even Madagascar, NDBs in longwave way up in Canada and then out to Florida and etc. etc. With the original 44' I could not get as strong the stuff north/south. That includes hams and utilities.
This got me thinking. Inspired me to do somewhat the same with my PAR EF-SWL. So as not to get too far off topic, will start another thread with a full description.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgescan View Post
I'm probably the only person around that has both of those antennas together. I replaced the 44' wire on the PAR with 100' of wire that's in an "L" configuration. Both antennas perform close to the same in SSB. Where they differ is in AM mode and one does better than the other in different bands. The Wellbrook can be directed more towards the desired signals so this can actually improve an SSB signal over the PAR.
You are not the only one. I have both-actually one PAR and two of the Wellbrook loops. My PAR is shorter due to location. I have not done rigorous tests to determine which is best as I want to move a Wellbrook to a better location and also compare to just a wire (not PAR). I think best is going to be dependent on noise/interference--that is when the loop will do best or when a wire antenna cannot be mount in the clear.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolbananalol2 View Post
I can’t afford a Wellbrook...
Yes you can.

https://www.loop-antennas.com/wellbr...rican/ALA100LN

Buy this and just create your own loop by adding your own wire. You can make it small or large. You can experiment with different wire layouts but it's an amazing product. If you do it correctly it'll beat the pants off the 1 meter Wellbrook loop at half the price.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:00 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwtrunked View Post
You are not the only one. I have both-actually one PAR and two of the Wellbrook loops. My PAR is shorter due to location. I have not done rigorous tests to determine which is best as I want to move a Wellbrook to a better location and also compare to just a wire (not PAR). I think best is going to be dependent on noise/interference--that is when the loop will do best or when a wire antenna cannot be mount in the clear.
Good to know! And everything is relative to circumstances and environment as you know. Here in RFI hell, my PAR far outdoes the Wellbrook in certain bands and conditions.
'54 SX-88 #127 to 100' endfed wire/9:1 trans. @40'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to Larsen Tribander
Sponsored links