A cheap no xsmn line delta loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well, yes, maybe - if you already have a transmatch that can handle a balanced line...

$10 Delta Loop Antenna

Yes I know this article is ham-related but it's just as useful for receive apps, too. That is, if you have the room - and I'll admit I'm envious, being a cave dweller

Mike

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Well, yes, maybe - if you already have a transmatch that can handle a balanced line...

I honestly don't know why more hams don't use balanced line. It solves more problems than it creates, and a transmatch doesn't have to be hugely expensive.

prcguy

Yes balanced line can fix a lot of matching problems and allow dipoles to work on multiple bands with little loss. But there is still a problem of running it away from metal and off the ground and when it rains things can go haywire.

You can feed a delta loop with a broad band transformer, either a 2:1 or 4:1 depending on height above ground and resulting impedance. I would use a good current balun followed by an effective choke balun with low loss LMR400 or similar to the radio. With this setup most internal radio tuners will work just fine.

I honestly don't know why more hams don't use balanced line. It solves more problems than it creates, and a transmatch doesn't have to be hugely expensive.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Keep in mind that the author was trying to make this antenna as unobtrusive as possible, so he didn't use any feedline at all. Just fed the 2 ends of the antenna to his tuner. That, and making the loop out of 22 gauge wire, makes it hard to see - something to consider if you're in a community with HOA nazis running about.;..Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.