RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Religion


Religion - Dog is my copilot. My karma ran over your dogma

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2012, 9:01 PM
corbintechboy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Corbin, KY
Posts: 421
Default N1RGR/Corbintechboy debate

There seems there was an issue in the political forums that should have been brought over here.

I will start off by saying I am not religious. I do have knowledge of the bible and wish to have this debate because I am tired of policy being pushed by religious agenda.

So here we go...

The problem I see with religion is people always want to bring it in the mix when it should not be. I don't believe it belongs in politics. Seems to me bible people usually run in groups and try and attack the beliefs of others. If I felt like I need saved, and or wanted to hear about religion, I would attend church.

I live in the bible belt. I see how they roll into neighborhoods and get out tell everyone to repent, lest they goto hell. I call hogwash and usually chase them away. Comfort in groups to attack those whom might not believe. I am for freedom, believe what works for you. But don't push your agenda down my throat.

Last edited by corbintechboy; 10-19-2012 at 9:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2012, 9:29 PM
K8TOB's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Canton, OH
Posts: 17
Default

Maybe I'm not invited to this party....

Politics - Religion - Laws of Nature, they are all intertwined. Especially considering US politics.

I am not particularly religious myself. I was raised Lutheran and am married to a strong Catholic. And have many "Son's", that affectionately call me "Dad" that are Catholic Priests. They have a goal of converting me to Catholicism , but I have issues with organized religion. And they have very strong views of Martin Luther.

My view is more towards the 'Laws of Nature' and a good place to start is here:Natural law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You may feel 'Free' to perform and act as you will, but not against 'Nature'.
__________________
RCVRS: BCD996XT, BCT15X, (3)Pro 197, Tecsun PL-660/880, Grundig S750
TRNCVRS: Elecraft K3/P3 & K2/100, Yaesu FT8800, Icom IC2200, KG-UV3D
Antennas: Dbl Bazookas@80m thru 20m, JTB1 2m-70cm, ST2,

Last edited by K8TOB; 10-19-2012 at 9:40 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2012, 9:38 PM
corbintechboy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Corbin, KY
Posts: 421
Default

Sounds a bit like what I did for awhile.

Wicca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If it harms none, do as ye will.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2012, 9:49 PM
K8TOB's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Canton, OH
Posts: 17
Default

No, I think there is distinct difference between Wiccan Rede and Moral principals for the sake of the society.
__________________
RCVRS: BCD996XT, BCT15X, (3)Pro 197, Tecsun PL-660/880, Grundig S750
TRNCVRS: Elecraft K3/P3 & K2/100, Yaesu FT8800, Icom IC2200, KG-UV3D
Antennas: Dbl Bazookas@80m thru 20m, JTB1 2m-70cm, ST2,
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2012, 9:55 PM
corbintechboy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Corbin, KY
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8TOB View Post
No, I think there is distinct difference between Wiccan Rede and Moral principals for the sake of the society.
Wicca is a good religion. It basically believes no pressure, relax and do what works for you as long as it harms none. It follows my political belief system rather well actually.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2012, 10:03 PM
K8TOB's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Canton, OH
Posts: 17
Default

but it reflects distain for the 'society' as a whole.
__________________
RCVRS: BCD996XT, BCT15X, (3)Pro 197, Tecsun PL-660/880, Grundig S750
TRNCVRS: Elecraft K3/P3 & K2/100, Yaesu FT8800, Icom IC2200, KG-UV3D
Antennas: Dbl Bazookas@80m thru 20m, JTB1 2m-70cm, ST2,
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
The problem I see with religion is people always want to bring it in the mix when it should not be. I don't believe it belongs in politics. Seems to me bible people usually run in groups and try and attack the beliefs of others. If I felt like I need saved, and or wanted to hear about religion, I would attend church.
Good for you. You are free to choose to believe or not to believe. I also don't agree with groups of people banging down doors and pushing religion down my throat ether. However when it comes to religion and politics one must consider that this country was founded on Christian principles and values by folks who believed in God. Like it or not religion especially Christianity is very much part of the fabric of the great nation.

Now I have a question for you...do you believe that the Government has the right to force a religious organisation to pay for something that is against its principles and belief system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
I live in the bible belt. I see how they roll into neighborhoods and get out tell everyone to repent, lest they goto hell. I call hogwash and usually chase them away. Comfort in groups to attack those whom might not believe. I am for freedom, believe what works for you. But don't push your agenda down my throat.
Have I attacked someone who does NOT believe? If so how? I simply stated that I don't believe in abortion nor does my religion or the political party I belong to. So how am I pushing my religion down your throat? Sound to me that your real problem is with the folks in your neighborhood and you would like to use me as a substitute for them.

Look laws are decided by people of many different faiths. I am certain there are many folks who also don't support abortion or gay marriage who are atheist. So whats your point? It seems to me that you just don't like it when the person against it is a Christian. Looks to me like your the one with the problem my friend.

Last edited by N1RGR; 10-19-2012 at 10:12 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2012, 10:26 PM
corbintechboy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Corbin, KY
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1RGR View Post
Good for you. You are free to choose to believe or not to believe. I also don't agree with groups of people banging down doors and pushing religion down my throat ether. However when it comes to religion and politics one must consider that this country was founded on Christian principles and values by folks who believed in God. Like it or not religion especially Christianity is very much part of the fabric of the great nation.

Now I have a question for you...do you believe that the Government has the right to force a religious organisation to pay for something that is against its principles and belief system.
I am for anyone believing in what works for them.

I believe in God, that is my choice. I may not believe in God the way you do. But I have come to the conclusion many moons ago, I can believe in scientific theory (evolution) or I could believe in something that is beyond my understanding (I took the latter).

I don't believe in anyone being forced to pay for something, especially something they do not share a belief in. That is wrong in my book.

I am fine with this country being founded on Christian philosophy. What I do not like is because of that fact, people think they have a right to push agenda. We are a nation where the constitution states we each have freedom of religion. I support that, what I don't support is people using religious values to infringe on the happiness of others.

Quote:
Have I attacked someone who does NOT believe? If so how? I simply stated that I don't believe in abortion nor does my religion or the political party I belong to. So how am I pushing my religion down your throat? Sound to me that your real problem is with the folks in your neighborhood and you would like to use me as a substitute for them.
But why was religion brought up? Because you know as a Christian that you can more then likely take comfort in the fact that you would have people backing you. It happens all to often. The Christian people gang up on the non and they gang up. I am not for this.

Quote:
Look laws are decided by people of many different faiths. I am certain there are many folks who also don't support abortion or gay marriage who are atheist. So whats your point? It seems to me that you just don't like it when the person against it is a Christian. Looks to me like your the one with the problem my friend.
It is not the point alone, it is a point when people are dictating the happiness of others. Religion and or without, you me or the man on the moon should not have the right to dictate what people do in their lives. In religion, they will have to answer for the things they do in their lives, so this has no effect on you.

Support freedom. The right to be happy. Why should you be the only person that has that right because you believe in what most of society does?

Last edited by corbintechboy; 10-19-2012 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
I am for anyone believing in what works for them.
We agree here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
I believe in God, that is my choice. I may not believe in God the way you do. But I have come to the conclusion many moons ago, I can believe in scientific theory (evolution) or I could believe in something that is beyond my understanding (I took the latter).
You may be surprised by my veiw of God. I spent many years studying the bible and came to the conclusion a long time ago that the big picture may not be the same picture that is commonly portrayed in Sunday school lectures ie God sitting in the clouds while angels fly around strumming harps. Im more interested in the fact that living breathing intelligent beings who were not of this world came here to communicate to us messages of God. If this is true and I believe it is the reality of such a event is quite remarkable on many different levels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
I don't believe in anyone being forced to pay for something, especially something they do not share a belief in. That is wrong in my book.
So we agree that the Government has no right infringing on a religious organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
I am fine with this country being founded on Christian philosophy. What I do not like is because of that fact, people think they have a right to push agenda. We are a nation where the constitution states we each have freedom of religion. I support that, what I don't support is people using religious values to infringe on the happiness of others.
That is what freedom is all about.If you believe that gay marriage laws should be overturned then you are free to vote for or against that principle no matter what religion you practice. Just so happens that I am a Christian and my principles align with my religion and political party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
But why was religion brought up? Because you know as a Christian that you can more then likely take comfort in the fact that you would have people backing you. It happens all to often. The Christian people gang up on the non and they gang up. I am not for this.
I have no idea how many other Christians on here. I fend for myself most of the time when discussing religion in this forum so I don't expect anybody coming to defend me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
It is not the point alone, it is a point when people are dictating the happiness of others. Religion and or without, you me or the man on the moon should not have the right to dictate what people do in their lives. In religion, they will have to answer for the things they do in their lives, so this has no effect on you.
I agree but when it comes to abortion it also effects the one without a voice. Someone must defend their right to live. Can you understand that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
Support freedom. The right to be happy. Why should you be the only person that has that right because you believe in what most of society does?
I agree I also support freedom. That includes my freedom and yours to be able to vote for what we believe is the right direction for this country no matter if you are a Christian or not.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2012, 11:41 PM
corbintechboy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Corbin, KY
Posts: 421
Default

We agree on about everything. You enlightened me in your thinking, I appreciate that.

I believe in abortion, I think that is a woman right. I think there should a period of time when it is allowed, after that point it should not. A woman should not be forced to raise a child she may not want, there should be programs that find parents for these children. I am even for my tax dollars going to make the birth happen.

Glad we agree on issues. No debate longer here .

Last edited by corbintechboy; 10-20-2012 at 12:02 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
We agree on about everything. You enlightened me in your thinking, I appreciate that.

I believe in abortion, I think that is a woman right. I think there should a period of time when it is allowed, after that point it should not. A woman should not be forced to raise a child she may not want, there should be programs that find parents for these children. I am even for my tax dollars going to make the birth happen.

Glad we agree on issues. No debate longer here .
Same here my friend. I believe we just turned our swords into plowshares. [Isaiah 2:4]
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2012, 12:56 AM
corbintechboy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Corbin, KY
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1RGR View Post
Same here my friend. I believe we just turned our swords into plowshares. [Isaiah 2:4]
Seems as if we did .

You also taught me something I never could really understand. I live in Appalachia, one of the (if not the) poorest places in the United States. I could never understand why this is a Republican area. From you saying "My party just so happens to align with my beliefs", now I understand why we are a Republican area. Being the "bible belt" and all.

I never thought about it that way. Always baffled me. Thanks for that as well.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2012, 2:32 PM
kb2vxa's Avatar
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.
Posts: 6,126
Default

"So how am I pushing my religion down your throat?"

With all due regard to Elizabeth Barrett Browning, let me count the ways. Nah, but thanks for the lulz.
<tap on shoulder> Do what your doctor says, mind your blood pressure.

Last edited by kb2vxa; 01-02-2013 at 5:53 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 299
Default

I Agree with whatever works for the individual whatever fits. I get my beliefs from everywhere kinda like trying on pants if they fit then i incorporate it if not back on the shelf and just because the pants fit me, dont me they will fit everyone or anyone for that matter we are unique in all ways especially in finding our ways back the the source from witch we came. I look at beliefs as expendable because there always a different way to look at it and it will make your prevous belief bigger and more encompassing or completly change it. Like me going from beliving god was up in the sky now to its inside all things and outside all things its our companion in life. LOVE AND BLESSINGS

Last edited by wingmaker; 11-15-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions