RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Religion

Religion - Dog is my copilot. My karma ran over your dogma

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 6:35 PM

Default created in gods image

If you believe in a god who created man/woman kind then we are all gods creations.

All equal in gods eyes,none more favoured than others no matter which part of the earth you were born on.

Each area at some point has had people interpret there own god inspired religion.

Who am I to decide which inspired religion is better than another?

If I choose to denigrate one over another am I less spiritual and more dogmatic.
Sponsored links
Old 07-05-2016, 11:39 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you believe in a god who created man/woman kind then we are all gods creations.

True

All equal in gods eyes,none more favoured than others no matter which part of the earth you were born on.

True

Each area at some point has had people interpret there own god inspired religion.

And here is where the problems start. "Putting our own spin" on what God says is what gets us in trouble. Always with him and usually with people too.

Who am I to decide which inspired religion is better than another?

While simplistic, consider this: Some believe there is one god. Some believe there are many. Both statements can't be true. At some point you will need to make a decision.

If I choose to denigrate one over another am I less spiritual and more dogmatic

Why do you need to denigrate someone or their beliefs? You can disagree with someone belittling them.
Old 07-06-2016, 7:59 PM

Thanks for the reply bharvey2.

Your reply intimates the idea that the Greek method of Dialectic's is the best way for reasonable people to communicate.

Regarding your statement "While simplistic, consider this: Some believe there is one god. Some believe there are many. Both statements can't be true. At some point you will need to make a decision".

I consider the crux to most religions is based around tradition rather than thruth.

Much respect,you have the founding fathers spirit.
Old 07-07-2016, 1:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Your reply intimates the idea that the Greek method of Dialectic's is the best way for reasonable people to communicate.

That definition is more pithy that I would have used but I suppose it is fair to say it's true.

Regarding your statement "While simplistic, consider this: Some believe there is one god. Some believe there are many. Both statements can't be true. At some point you will need to make a decision".

I consider the crux to most religions is based around tradition rather than truth.

I think you are spot on with with that observation. Regardless of whether you believe Jesus has (or had) any divine characteristics, you will find that in the Bible, he routinely called out the people of his day for just such offenses: putting tradition ahead of the truth that God has put forth.

I would hazard to say that mankind's hypocrisy in "things religious" (and I use that term loosely and with reservation) has much to do with many people's animosity toward God.

Much respect,you have the founding fathers spirit.

Thank you sir. I consider that a complement of the highest order.
Old 07-07-2016, 8:15 PM

I think the biggest question for me is why would god pick one specific part of the world to send his message rather than spread his message equally around the world.

So with this question in my mind I realised that many races,tribes did receive their own religions and gods.

Is the common denominator not god but humans each interpreting/creating their own gods uniquely and separately from one another.

Just to add I do believe in a creative force but not sure if any one individual has been the selective interpreter rather than many possible prophets at any given time.

P.S i genuinely meant it as a compliment,i believe the US to have had some of the greatest promoter's of freedom and philosophy who tried to create a nation of enlightenment.

Having said that there seems at present to be a trend of revisionism where their aim of enlightenment is portrayed as something to be avoided.

Last edited by gordonbrittas; 07-07-2016 at 8:26 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2016, 11:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

At first blush, the notion of trying to spread any news or message and starting at one point seems insurmountable. However, doesn't any new idea start at one location? Furthermore, I don't think we give our ancestors enough credit. We assume that because they didn't have iPhones and Twitter that somehow they were backwoods imbeciles and couldn't get anything done. Far from it: The modern world still can't figure out how such landmarks as the pyramids were constructed with such precision or scale. Yet, they exist on at least two continents.

Furthermore, people of biblical times were pretty mobile. The Bible recounts a number of messenger's travels. Consider too that there were far fewer people among which the story of God must have been spread so the logistical battle may not have been as difficult as one might think. There is no indication, whether through the scope of either the biblical or evolutionary model, that the world started out being fully populated. In both models, man emanated and emerged from a single location.

To continue, messengers of the new testament gospel were commanded to go out among the nations and "spread the good news". They did and continue to do so today. To be honest, I don't think lack of information is typically a problem with regard to a knowledge of God. You alluded to believing in a creative force. I think most people's gut instinct is that there was some intelligent force at work in the designing of the universe. If the will to learn more is there, the information is out there. Quite often though there is apathy or outright antagonism toward any discussion of God. Given the hypocrisy and distortion of God's message by mankind, I can understand it that it may leave a "bad taste in one's mouth".

Lastly Gordon, nothing in our conversation has led me to believe that you have been anything but sincere in your words and I've enjoyed our dialog. I also agree with you wholeheartedly that founders of the U.S. had great ideas on how to build a country with freedoms and possibilities not seen anywhere else but alas, they too have been denigrated and now too often considered archaic and outdated.

Brian
Old 07-08-2016, 12:46 PM

Excellent post Brian

I can't disagree with what you've written,not that that is my aim.

I can't purport to be that knowledgeable about the bible or the time period that it's information contained was written.

I do understand that in the middle east there had been a strong Greek influence via Hellenization around 300 years before Jesus and around his life time and i have wondered how this impacted on Jesus and how it influenced his outlook.

Do you think he comes across as promoting the old laws sometimes and then other times promoting an outlook more influenced by Hellenization?

Do you also think that other European religions have influenced the creation of Christianity as it is portrayed by many organised religions as we know it today.

Does the bible actually talk about an underworld such as hell?The Norse religion talked about an underworld guarded by Hel who was Loki's daughter.Also the Greeks had a tradition of the underworld but I'm not so sure if the bible does,Isn't Hell an Anglo-saxon word and stems from a interpretation of an actual place called Gehinnom.

Last edited by gordonbrittas; 07-08-2016 at 12:50 PM..
Old 07-08-2016, 6:11 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

While far from a historian in any fashion, here is my sense of what brought about the disparity of the religious beliefs in historical times: People were very (and may still be today) very tribal. That is to say, those of like minds tended to group together while steering clear of others with conflicting ideas. Belief systems weren't the only demographic. Geography and distance probably played some role in this as well. Too, any particular group likely tended to form uniform beliefs and practices. (Pack mentality is what it's called today) As such, you had the Roman empire which was primarily monotheistic and the Greeks who were polytheistic. Surely there were other groups but these were two of the big, well known ones.

As time went by, groups tended to develop habits, traditions and beliefs that though some were rooted in God's original message, did tend to stray and people became more engrained in the traditions themselves that the root or origin of those traditions. As I mentioned in a previous post, Jesus took people to task for this very problem. The behavior continues today.

While I can't speak too knowledgeably outside of Christianity, I can give you a brief synopisis: The Bible is made up of two major parts. The Old testament and the New testament. The Old Testament was passed on by God through a number of prophets and outlines the origins of the world, universe and man and details a good deal of history. It spans a range of about 8-10,000 years.It's main theme is that God created man and wanted to be in communion with him (and her). However, man's defiance of God set the two apart. A good deal of the old testament is devoted to God's promise of a savior to reconcile man to God. Although Mosaic Law was provided in the Old Testament, it's purpose was not to be obeyed without error but to show man that despite his best efforts, he is unable to live a life of perfection and is therefore in need of a savior.

The New Testament (about 2000 years) reveals the identity of that savior (Jesus) his birth, life and death and can be considered a "manual" on how a follower of Jesus should or should not conduct his or her life. Note that in the New Testament, Jesus engages in a number of practices and traditions along with his followers yet shows disdain for others. So it seems clear that some are "God-based" while others are not. Quite often though, to it's detriment, The new Testament (and the Bible as a whole) is misrepresented, things are taken out of context or just outright misinterpreted.

With regard to hell, while the word itself doesn't exist in most versions of the Bible, the concept does. It is often referred to as eternal death, a permanent separation from God. The "lake of fire" resides in hell. I believe your understanding of the origin of the word Gehinnom is correct.I believe it is Hebrew and Gehanna, Greek.

Lastly, I would encourage you to research and verify anything as it relates to religion or Christianity, even that which has been stated in our prior discussion.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharvey2 View Post
The new Testament (and the Bible as a whole) is misrepresented, things are taken out of context or just outright misinterpreted.
This is one of the major issues regarding Christianity.So many sub groups/splinter groups throughout the centuries.All with their own interpretation and most likely fueled by the power and control over people.

This is why organised religion is not for me,it's man made.This statement in no way invalidates the bible or the individuals and their messages.If anything it strengthens it by choosing to ignore other peoples manipulation on a subject which is personal to each individual.

I think it's probably drifting away from my original subject matter and becoming to much based on just one of the many religions in this vast world.
Old 12-12-2017, 1:35 PM

Since every nation has some superior being they worship, it's pretty
apparent that some "god" like entity existed or exists.

It may be just ONE entity that every culture called by a different name.

But with millions of questions that can't be answered by science, it would be foolish to doubt it's existence