Smithfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpincins

I was wondering if anyone is experiencing the same results as me when listening to Smithfield. When listening to fire/pd, I usually have a good amount of static drowning out the words. I don't have this issue with any other departments, and I can hear Woonsocket, Johnston, Cranston loud and clear from Glocester, but not with Smithfield, from the same location. I've increased height in my antennas, upgraded coax, upgraded antennas, with no success.

safehouse

I typically don't listen to Smithfield. I turned on the fire and police and they are both strong in North Scituate. I am hearing the normal simulcast distortion that is present on these systems.
I believe both are multi site simulcast TX systems so you will hear simulcast distortion if you are picking up numerous sites. Try a small inside antenna and see if they improve.
Jeff..

dpincins

Just to confirm, I am listening to Smithfield on their conventional frequency of 155.0775, and 154.1150. If I use the scanner inside I will not pick them up at all. If I am traveling down 44, I can't hear them clearly until I get down near Benny's, and past. From my house, with my base antenna I can pick them up but they're really static filled. I'm guessing it's just a weak repeater. Are you saying you have them on the RISCON system? I looked and couldn't find them on it. Anyway, I'm at about max height, I am using an st2 for my conventional feed, and I am running lmr400 for a 70 foot run. Not sure where to turn.

trp2525

Just to confirm, I am listening to Smithfield on their conventional frequency of 155.0775, and 154.1150. If I use the scanner inside I will not pick them up at all. If I am traveling down 44, I can't hear them clearly until I get down near Benny's, and past. From my house, with my base antenna I can pick them up but they're really static filled. I'm guessing it's just a weak repeater. Are you saying you have them on the RISCON system? I looked and couldn't find them on it. Anyway, I'm at about max height, I am using an st2 for my conventional feed, and I am running lmr400 for a 70 foot run. Not sure where to turn.

It could be a case that Smithfield Fire and Police are not putting out a lot of power. According to their FCC license data (ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQUA675 - SMITHFIELD, TOWN OF - Frequencies Summary) they have 4 FB2 listings on 154.1150 and all 4 have a maximum Effective Radiated Power (ERP) of only 10 watts. On 155.0775 they have 4 FB2 listings. 3 of those listings have a maximum ERP of 10 watts and 1 has a maximum ERP of 80 watts.

To contrast the above findings, Smithfield is licensed on 158.9700 (Intercity Police) for a maximum ERP of 100 watts. Have you ever picked them up on Intercity Police? If so, how did they sound compared to their normal operating frequencies?

dpincins

It could be a case that Smithfield Fire and Police are not putting out a lot of power. According to their FCC license data (ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQUA675 - SMITHFIELD, TOWN OF - Frequencies Summary) they have 4 FB2 listings on 154.1150 and all 4 have a maximum Effective Radiated Power (ERP) of only 10 watts. On 155.0775 they have 4 FB2 listings. 3 of those listings have a maximum ERP of 10 watts and 1 has a maximum ERP of 80 watts.

To contrast the above findings, Smithfield is licensed on 158.9700 (Intercity Police) for a maximum ERP of 100 watts. Have you ever picked them up on Intercity Police? If so, how did they sound compared to their normal operating frequencies?

I haven't heard Smithfield PD on intercity that I can remember. I've heard fire on intercity, but it was over the 800 mhz system. Going to guess that their repeater is too weak for me to pick it up clearly. Height has helped wondering if I should try a amplifier or attempt aiming a yagi in that direction?

ecps92

Give it a try, but adding an Amplifier might bring in other issues, unwanted.

Do you have a VHF Beam to aim at the FCC Licensed site ?

I haven't heard Smithfield PD on intercity that I can remember. I've heard fire on intercity, but it was over the 800 mhz system. Going to guess that their repeater is too weak for me to pick it up clearly. Height has helped wondering if I should try a amplifier or attempt aiming a yagi in that direction?

safehouse

I am listening to the police on 155.0775/118.8 and the fire on 154.115/203.5
In North Scituate they are full quieting with a discone a 50'. I do hear the phasing distortion fluctuate during transmissions but typically it is not a problem. With a portable radio in the house, I have to move the radio around to find a good spot. Sounds like you need to stick with the outside antenna for your location.

dpincins

I am listening to the police on 155.0775/118.8 and the fire on 154.115/203.5
In North Scituate they are full quieting with a discone a 50'. I do hear the phasing distortion fluctuate during transmissions but typically it is not a problem. With a portable radio in the house, I have to move the radio around to find a good spot. Sounds like you need to stick with the outside antenna for your location.

So close. I'm about a minute away from the North Scituate line. Going to give the yagi a try tomorrow, on the 50' mast.

ecps92

chatting with some RI folks (off line) it was passed to me that.

a. The system is a 3 Site Multi-Cast
b. It does sound terrible :eek:
c. Likely because the 3 sites are out-of-phase

Some users who have listened indicate
Lots of Hum, Poor Audio and much Distortion due to the Multi-Casts

Not much you are going to be able to do, from your end, however keep experimenting you might find that sweet spot

I was wondering if anyone is experiencing the same results as me when listening to Smithfield. When listening to fire/pd, I usually have a good amount of static drowning out the words. I don't have this issue with any other departments, and I can hear Woonsocket, Johnston, Cranston loud and clear from Glocester, but not with Smithfield, from the same location. I've increased height in my antennas, upgraded coax, upgraded antennas, with no success.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Just had a relative visiting from N.Smithfield R.I., she has a relative on the force who said that that PD is "Encrypted", is this true ???...Are they now on the R.I. State police system.....

ecps92

Last we knew YES
Rhode Island Digital System - Scan New England Wiki

(Original RISCON) When an Agency joined RISCON they had an Option ENC or No ENC
there was not a feature to turn it on or off, it was One or the Other, many went ENC

As the system has grown, and evolved it could have changed, but..... YMMV
Just had a relative visiting from N.Smithfield R.I., she has a relative on the force who said that that PD is "Encrypted", is this true ???...Are they now on the R.I. State police system.....

dpincins

I just heard Smithfield Fire testing on the 800 system. Anyone with inside information on plans to change over, or just testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.