RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Rhode Island Radio Discussion Forum


Rhode Island Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Rhode Island.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2016, 8:28 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Glocester, RI
Posts: 18
Default Smithfield

I was wondering if anyone is experiencing the same results as me when listening to Smithfield. When listening to fire/pd, I usually have a good amount of static drowning out the words. I don't have this issue with any other departments, and I can hear Woonsocket, Johnston, Cranston loud and clear from Glocester, but not with Smithfield, from the same location. I've increased height in my antennas, upgraded coax, upgraded antennas, with no success.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2016, 4:52 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Foster/Killingly
Posts: 7
Default

I typically don't listen to Smithfield. I turned on the fire and police and they are both strong in North Scituate. I am hearing the normal simulcast distortion that is present on these systems.
I believe both are multi site simulcast TX systems so you will hear simulcast distortion if you are picking up numerous sites. Try a small inside antenna and see if they improve.
Jeff..
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2016, 9:17 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Glocester, RI
Posts: 18
Default

Just to confirm, I am listening to Smithfield on their conventional frequency of 155.0775, and 154.1150. If I use the scanner inside I will not pick them up at all. If I am traveling down 44, I can't hear them clearly until I get down near Benny's, and past. From my house, with my base antenna I can pick them up but they're really static filled. I'm guessing it's just a weak repeater. Are you saying you have them on the RISCON system? I looked and couldn't find them on it. Anyway, I'm at about max height, I am using an st2 for my conventional feed, and I am running lmr400 for a 70 foot run. Not sure where to turn.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2016, 7:04 PM
trp2525's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpincins View Post
Just to confirm, I am listening to Smithfield on their conventional frequency of 155.0775, and 154.1150. If I use the scanner inside I will not pick them up at all. If I am traveling down 44, I can't hear them clearly until I get down near Benny's, and past. From my house, with my base antenna I can pick them up but they're really static filled. I'm guessing it's just a weak repeater. Are you saying you have them on the RISCON system? I looked and couldn't find them on it. Anyway, I'm at about max height, I am using an st2 for my conventional feed, and I am running lmr400 for a 70 foot run. Not sure where to turn.
It could be a case that Smithfield Fire and Police are not putting out a lot of power. According to their FCC license data (ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQUA675 - SMITHFIELD, TOWN OF - Frequencies Summary) they have 4 FB2 listings on 154.1150 and all 4 have a maximum Effective Radiated Power (ERP) of only 10 watts. On 155.0775 they have 4 FB2 listings. 3 of those listings have a maximum ERP of 10 watts and 1 has a maximum ERP of 80 watts.

To contrast the above findings, Smithfield is licensed on 158.9700 (Intercity Police) for a maximum ERP of 100 watts. Have you ever picked them up on Intercity Police? If so, how did they sound compared to their normal operating frequencies?
__________________
trp2525
RCA 16S400, Regency HX1500, PRO-2006, PRO-197, PRO-668 (officially upgraded to WS1080), TRX-2, BC950XLT, BCD996XT, BCD396XT, Motorola Minitor II, Antenna Specialists MON731
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2016, 11:03 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Glocester, RI
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post
It could be a case that Smithfield Fire and Police are not putting out a lot of power. According to their FCC license data (ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQUA675 - SMITHFIELD, TOWN OF - Frequencies Summary) they have 4 FB2 listings on 154.1150 and all 4 have a maximum Effective Radiated Power (ERP) of only 10 watts. On 155.0775 they have 4 FB2 listings. 3 of those listings have a maximum ERP of 10 watts and 1 has a maximum ERP of 80 watts.

To contrast the above findings, Smithfield is licensed on 158.9700 (Intercity Police) for a maximum ERP of 100 watts. Have you ever picked them up on Intercity Police? If so, how did they sound compared to their normal operating frequencies?
I haven't heard Smithfield PD on intercity that I can remember. I've heard fire on intercity, but it was over the 800 mhz system. Going to guess that their repeater is too weak for me to pick it up clearly. Height has helped wondering if I should try a amplifier or attempt aiming a yagi in that direction?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2016, 6:44 AM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,082
Default

Give it a try, but adding an Amplifier might bring in other issues, unwanted.

Do you have a VHF Beam to aim at the FCC Licensed site ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpincins View Post
I haven't heard Smithfield PD on intercity that I can remember. I've heard fire on intercity, but it was over the 800 mhz system. Going to guess that their repeater is too weak for me to pick it up clearly. Height has helped wondering if I should try a amplifier or attempt aiming a yagi in that direction?
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2016, 2:30 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Foster/Killingly
Posts: 7
Default

I am listening to the police on 155.0775/118.8 and the fire on 154.115/203.5
In North Scituate they are full quieting with a discone a 50'. I do hear the phasing distortion fluctuate during transmissions but typically it is not a problem. With a portable radio in the house, I have to move the radio around to find a good spot. Sounds like you need to stick with the outside antenna for your location.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2016, 9:38 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Glocester, RI
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecps92 View Post
Give it a try, but adding an Amplifier might bring in other issues, unwanted.

Do you have a VHF Beam to aim at the FCC Licensed site ?
Will try aiming a yagi at the tower tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2016, 9:41 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Glocester, RI
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by safehouse View Post
I am listening to the police on 155.0775/118.8 and the fire on 154.115/203.5
In North Scituate they are full quieting with a discone a 50'. I do hear the phasing distortion fluctuate during transmissions but typically it is not a problem. With a portable radio in the house, I have to move the radio around to find a good spot. Sounds like you need to stick with the outside antenna for your location.
So close. I'm about a minute away from the North Scituate line. Going to give the yagi a try tomorrow, on the 50' mast.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-26-2016, 3:37 AM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,082
Default

As pointed out, they are only running 10 watts, don't expect much

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpincins View Post
So close. I'm about a minute away from the North Scituate line. Going to give the yagi a try tomorrow, on the 50' mast.
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2016, 7:00 AM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,082
Default

chatting with some RI folks (off line) it was passed to me that.

a. The system is a 3 Site Multi-Cast
b. It does sound terrible
c. Likely because the 3 sites are out-of-phase

Some users who have listened indicate
Lots of Hum, Poor Audio and much Distortion due to the Multi-Casts

Not much you are going to be able to do, from your end, however keep experimenting you might find that sweet spot


Quote:
Originally Posted by dpincins View Post
I was wondering if anyone is experiencing the same results as me when listening to Smithfield. When listening to fire/pd, I usually have a good amount of static drowning out the words. I don't have this issue with any other departments, and I can hear Woonsocket, Johnston, Cranston loud and clear from Glocester, but not with Smithfield, from the same location. I've increased height in my antennas, upgraded coax, upgraded antennas, with no success.
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2016, 5:19 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ILL
Posts: 2,565
Default

Just had a relative visiting from N.Smithfield R.I., she has a relative on the force who said that that PD is "Encrypted", is this true ???...Are they now on the R.I. State police system.....
__________________
RoninJoliet
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2016, 5:23 AM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,082
Default

Last we knew YES
Rhode Island Digital System - Scan New England Wiki

(Original RISCON) When an Agency joined RISCON they had an Option ENC or No ENC
there was not a feature to turn it on or off, it was One or the Other, many went ENC

As the system has grown, and evolved it could have changed, but..... YMMV
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninJoliet View Post
Just had a relative visiting from N.Smithfield R.I., she has a relative on the force who said that that PD is "Encrypted", is this true ???...Are they now on the R.I. State police system.....
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2016, 1:53 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ILL
Posts: 2,565
Default

Thank You......
__________________
RoninJoliet
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2016, 2:44 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Foster/Killingly
Posts: 7
Default

I just monitored Smithfield PD on their regular frequency in the clear. They are not showing up on RISCON.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2016, 4:43 PM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,082
Default

Correct on Smithfield - Providence County Police Departments - Scan New England Wiki
the question was on North Smithfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by safehouse View Post
I just monitored Smithfield PD on their regular frequency in the clear. They are not showing up on RISCON.
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2016, 5:56 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Glocester, RI
Posts: 18
Default

I just heard Smithfield Fire testing on the 800 system. Anyone with inside information on plans to change over, or just testing?
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2016, 5:23 AM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,082
Default

Heard where ? Which Zone and Which Talk-Group


Quote:
Originally Posted by dpincins View Post
I just heard Smithfield Fire testing on the 800 system. Anyone with inside information on plans to change over, or just testing?
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2016, 9:44 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Glocester, RI
Posts: 18
Default

I heard FD on 1648, north zone.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2016, 12:42 PM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,082
Default

Yes they have access to the 800 TRS, but are still using VHF

http://scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?ti...re_Departments
http://scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?ti...Digital_System

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpincins View Post
I heard FD on 1648, north zone.
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rhode island, static

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions