Scanning Rhode Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

w1av

Hello,
I just recently got back into scanning after YEARS of inactivity. I am enjoying it very much. Even more so now that I have retired! I have 2 radios, a new Whistler WS1025 and a Bearcat BC8500. The Bearcat is an older rig I bought off Ebay. I use it mostly for aircraft. I use the Whistler for everything else. I use a Diamond discone antenna for the Whistler. It works very well. And for the Bearcat I am using a homebrew vertical dipole made from 1/2" copper pipe. This antenna also works great,
Does anyone know if Providence fire is still on 154.370? I had that programmed but never hear anything. I read somewhere Providence police went all-digital but channel 1 is clear. I think channel 1 used to be 460.100? I live in western Cranston at a decent elevation and I listen to mostly fire/rescue and some police. But the police freqs seem to be mostly chit chat routine stuff. One thing thats bugging me is I can't listen to Cranston Police because I keep getting random paging-type interference. Has anyone else noticed this? Plus I never hear anything, and Cranston is a busy place. Any other things of interest you guys hear?

Attachments

• 20180124_160001p.jpg
    20180124_160001p.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 704

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
Welcome back to the world of modern day scanning , digital P25, DMR.
Read up on the RISCON system. That is where most of your listening will be from. You will need a digital scanner, Uniden 996P2 or Whistler TRX model.

coolrich55

Yeah, welcome back. Unfortunately you're in for a rude awakening. Cranston PD has been digital for a few years now. The noise you're hearing on their freq is what digital sounds like on an analog scanner. Get a digital scanner and you can listen to them. Providence has been digital trunked since around 2006 I believe. Their PD dispatch channel is in the clear but the rest encrypted. FD also in the clear. Unfortunately many PD's are now encrypted but not all. Still plenty of analog stuff to listen to but many have gone digital. You'll find the days of scanning has gotten much more complicated and even more expensive.

w1av

RI scannin'

Hi Coolrich55....thank you for clarifying the Cranston PD freqs for me! I had no idea they had gone digital. What about Providence fire on 154.370? I hear nothing at all there. And yeah I am planning on picking up a digital scanner before the Summer. I am totally clueless how they work though. Most of my monitoring is aircraft and the analog fire/rescue stuff. Still plenty to hear from Cranston. But eventually digital will take over. Those new radios are EXPENSIVE!!!! Not sure what I want to get though. Not too impressed by the Whistlers though. I got a WS1025 and it is ok for the most part but has a terrible sloppy squelch. I wish there was a way to tighten it up. I use it for the analog fire/rescue stuff. And I use a Uniden bc8500xlt for aircraft. What is Prov pd dispatch channel? Maybe I can program that in and listen.

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
Uniden and Whistlers both make great digital scanners. The Whistlers have a little better sound on digital and easier to access the channels manually. If your not good with computers because of the programming of the scanner you can look into a Home Patrol 2. Providence PD is part of the RISCON system which is 800mhz P25 trunk and they only have the main dispatch channel that is in the clear. The Providence Fire is on the same system and for the most part is in the clear. Any more questions be happy to help. Here is a link for more local help: http://www.scan-ne.net/forums/content.php

Last edited:

w1av

Hi Nascar18

Uniden and Whistlers both make great digital scanners. The Whistlers have a little better sound on digital and easier to access the channels manually. If your not good with computers because of the programming of the scanner you can look into a Home Patrol 2. Providence PD is part of the RISCON system which is 800mhz P25 trunk and they only have the main dispatch channel that is in the clear. The Providence Fire is on the same system and for the most part is in the clear. Any more questions be happy to help. Here is a link for more local help: Scan New England - SNE News Articles

Thank you Nascar18. I bought a Pro-2055 from ebay and it will be coming in a few days. I did find the page on Radio reference with RISCON information for Rhode Island but it is confusing. I can hear the State Prison guards on their 800 mhz trunking system using my Bearcat 8500xlt. I am only a few miles from the prison. The 8500xlt is not a trunking radio but I do hear comms in the clear. They seem to hop frequencies. I think using "Win97" I would be able to program the pro-2055 via computer but there doesnt seem to be any kind of serial/data port on the back.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
W1AV.
First off, allow me to say welcome back!
Secondly. Don't waste your money on the Whistler Scanners. They have infinite issues with RISCON, as is well documented here. You could find a second hand Uniden BCD996XT on Ebay for $300 or less. And the nice thing about that is, being a premium member here at RR, you can just download the system into the scanner via software. Select what you want, don't want, and you're on your way!

RISCON is really not overly complicated. It's a three zone system with about 16-18 sites.
There are a ton of state agencies on it, but if you scroll down, you will find municipal information as well.
I find the RISCON page at Scan New England is easier to read and understand myself.
Rhode Island Digital System - Scan New England Wiki

Cranston is not on RISCON as of right now. As others mentioned, they are still using conventional frequencies. The Fire PL has changed, and the PD are digital.

floridafuzz

W1AV.
First off, allow me to say welcome back!
Secondly. Don't waste your money on the Whistler Scanners. They have infinite issues with RISCON, as is well documented here. You could find a second hand Uniden BCD996XT on Ebay for $300 or less. And the nice thing about that is, being a premium member here at RR, you can just download the system into the scanner via software. Select what you want, don't want, and you're on your way!

RISCON is really not overly complicated. It's a three zone system with about 16-18 sites.
There are a ton of state agencies on it, but if you scroll down, you will find municipal information as well.
I find the RISCON page at Scan New England is easier to read and understand myself.
Rhode Island Digital System - Scan New England Wiki

Cranston is not on RISCON as of right now. As others mentioned, they are still using conventional frequencies. The Fire PL has changed, and the PD are digital.

Hi Mike-
I have a couple of questions for you. I have been monitoring Cranston PD since the 60s when they had tab districts and were on 155.525 if memory serves me correctly. I have always used Radio Shack scanners with Don Starr's software.
Do the Uniden scanners work any better on RISCON than the pro 106 and pro 197?
If so, what would be your go to scanner for RISCON in RI?
Also, aside from downloading the data from RadioReference what software package would you use to program the scanner of your choice?
I am spoiled with Don's software version of WIN because of their ease of use.
Thanks in advance for any advise you may be able to give me.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
While some departments remain on conventional channels, many have moved to the RISCON system. Others, like Pawtucket PD are using P25 digital on a conventional channel. A digital scanner is needed. Which one is best is a matter of opinion, so I won't got there. My suggestion is to visit Scan New England, where there are three threads deicated to RISCON in the forums, as well as frequency lists for the entire state.

Rhode Island Portal at Scan New England

w1av

digital scanning

While some departments remain on conventional channels, many have moved to the RISCON system. Others, like Pawtucket PD are using P25 digital on a conventional channel. A digital scanner is needed. Which one is best is a matter of opinion, so I won't got there. My suggestion is to visit Scan New England, where there are three threads deicated to RISCON in the forums, as well as frequency lists for the entire state.

Rhode Island Portal at Scan New England

I understand a little more about the situation in my state as far as digitalized agencies....apparently more have gone digital than I thought. So even though I still do alot of analog scanning with aircraft being one favorite, I plan on reviewing the Uniden digital scanners. Yeah they are EXPENSIVE and I will have to justify to my wife why I need to spend that much! But I am retired and spend alot of time home. It would be easier to find somebody local who has a digital scanner setup and show me real time how it all actually works. I do better with hands on learning. In the mean time I am going to do alot of research and studying manuals and websites. Then when I finally get a digital scanner it wont be so overwhelming.

coolrich55

I wonder if there are any places in RI where you can purchase a scanner. When I bought my first digital scanner back in 06 I went to JS radio sales in Willimantic CT. At the time I was clueless about digital. They were able to program the scanner for me and over time I began to understand digital more and more. Then started using computer programs, to program my scanners and once you figure all that out, it's pretty simple. One side note is some of these systems like RISCON and the Providence site are designed to operate basically only in the city itself. What I mean is back when PFD and PPD were analog conventional you'd be able to pick them up from all over. Well into MA and even CT. That is no longer the case. I can be inside somewhere in parts of Cranston or even the city and with a handheld it can be difficult to get a signal. I don't get into the tech side of things but, you'll learn as you go. Like I said scanning is just not as simple as it once was.

ecps92

a. Scanner Stores - not that I know of, other than HRO in Salem NH most of the Brick-n-motar style stores are retired and moved to On-line

b. RISCON - since RISCON has 3 Zones [think of Cells] with Multiple Towers, they are generally designed to cover only that Area - the days of needing [more wanting than needing] to listen from long distance is gone. The need to re-share the limited spectrum is one reason in much of the reduced power from Repeaters, and then Narrowbanding reduced many systems audio punch.

c. Scanners are not designed like the Commercial Public Safety Radios. They tend to have more issues in the Multi-Path [P25] reception. Folks [Scanner listeners] have resorted to beams, stubby Antennas, move an inch, re-align and even changing the polarization of the antenna to get the best [optimum] reception for ONE fixed location.

I wonder if there are any places in RI where you can purchase a scanner. When I bought my first digital scanner back in 06 I went to JS radio sales in Willimantic CT. At the time I was clueless about digital. They were able to program the scanner for me and over time I began to understand digital more and more. Then started using computer programs, to program my scanners and once you figure all that out, it's pretty simple. One side note is some of these systems like RISCON and the Providence site are designed to operate basically only in the city itself. What I mean is back when PFD and PPD were analog conventional you'd be able to pick them up from all over. Well into MA and even CT. That is no longer the case. I can be inside somewhere in parts of Cranston or even the city and with a handheld it can be difficult to get a signal. I don't get into the tech side of things but, you'll learn as you go. Like I said scanning is just not as simple as it once was.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
a. Scanner Stores - not that I know of, other than HRO in Salem NH most of the Brick-n-motar style stores are retired and moved to On-line

You Do It electronics in Needham is a big Uniden seller, and has a good stock. Their prices are very competitive as well. From Providence, Rhode Island, it's just under an hour driving time.

95 North to 95/128 North, Exit 19A (Newton Highlands). Take a left at the Speedway, take your second left, it's on the left.

w1av

Help with Pro 2055 trunking programming.

I got my Pro 2055 today and it replaces my general purpose scanner. I managed to wipe all the banks memories clean and programmed (got it off Ebay) about 1/2 of bank 1 with a bunch of fire, police, rescue etc.I am in Rhode Island and have been reading through the manual pretty intently. I plan on getting a new digital scanner somewhere down the road. But for now I am happy with the radios I have for the moment. I would like to see how the trunking works but I dont understand how to get the information to enter into scanner to make it work. You guys probably know more about what the Pro 2055 will receive trunk-wise. The manual says there are a few different types of trunking systems. Motorola Types 1 and 2, EDACS, LTR, etc. I have no idea where to start. According to manual you have to first "enter ID program mode". This is where you select the various systems such as EDACS, LTR, Motorola. It asks for the "desired trunking frequency".....How do I find this??? I couldnt find any information on this website for my local area. There is a bit of digital stuff but I couldnt find anything related to trunking. Anyone with some time care to help me?

Attachments

• 2055.jpg
    2055.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 351

coolrich55

The only analog trunking system in your area would be the MSP. Nothing in Rhode Island as far as I know. You can program it manually but it can be time consuming. Much easier with a computer program. That's if your scanner came with the wire to connect to your computer. If you are able to navigate the radio reference site pretty well I believe you can find and download the program for your scanner through the radio reference wiki.

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack didn't provide the program cable in there scanners. He can buy one on Ebay from GRE. Then he would need the sw Win500 to program the scanner. Maybe he can learn how to use RR WEBSITE to find information on the state of RI, instead of asking ridiculous questions. I think his best bet would be to purchase a radio from Scannermaster so they can program it for him.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Radio Shack didn't provide the program cable in there scanners. He can buy one on Ebay from GRE. Then he would need the sw Win500 to program the scanner. Maybe he can learn how to use RR WEBSITE to find information on the state of RI, instead of asking ridiculous questions. I think his best bet would be to purchase a radio from Scannermaster so they can program it for him.
1.Win500 won't work on a 2055 where did you get that idea?

2.None of his questions seemed ridiculous to me.

coolrich55

I bought a RS PRO668 a few years ago online and it came with a cable. When you haven't been active with your hobby for a number of years and you get back into it and it's all completely different, questions are not that ridiculous.

w1av

scanner

Hi Bob,
Did you buy a digital scanner?? How is the trunking programming coming along.

No, I haven't got a digital scanner yet....still listening to the analog ones. But I did manage to get SOME trunking working. I can hear a ton of stufff from the ACI across town loud and clear. I programmed in the State D.O.T. and RIPTA but never hear anything. I am still not understanding the radio's manual (Radio Shack Pro-2055) not very well written. I would be interested in help though cause I just cant figure out stuff like fleet maps and whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.