Block Island/New Shoreham

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkB513

Just thought I would pass along I was vacationing on Block Island last month and only after noticing radio silence on the fire/rescue 154.205 and then chatting with the public safety dispatchers, did I discover some major radio changes currently and upcoming under the KWQ545 callsign. Three out of the five narrow high band repeated frequencies are DMR active, but only one of them was actually in use, at least while I was there. The fire/rescue was being dispatched with alert tones on 153.7625 with a color code 3. I code tell 154.0475 color code 4 and 155.2575 color code 5 were also DMR active, but I didn't hear any conversation. I was told by the dispatcher that the police will be leaving their current system for the new system. I took this as the RISCON for one of the DMR narrow high band frequencies since they didn't have the technical knowledge. The fire/rescue sounded excellent from my car as far away as Westerly. I'm glad to hear the police will be abandoning the trunk system because the coverage on the island isn't that good being they're trying to reach towers on the mainland.

MarkB513

I do not. I discovered all this towards the end of my stay on the island and unfortunately ran out of time. I had programmed all the frequencies conventionally and found the color codes previously mentioned and 153.7625 only actively being used. Not sure if they are individual repeaters or a trunk system or whatever. Don't really know a lot about DMR systems either and I didn't take a close look at the license. Just wanted to put it out there for the next guy in the area that might be interested.

Do you have the DMR talkgroups?

Status
Not open for further replies.