Stanislaus National Forest - Sonora

Status
Not open for further replies.

crayx

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have the PL/Tones for the following SNF Freq:

kma371

QRT
Some NF's don't use PL Tones on the output, only on the input.

I would say enable Tone Search to validate that. ;)

The DB doesnt list any. I was pretty good at keeping those updated. if there isnt one listed they most likely dont have any, or there are multiple tones for different repeaters.

SCPD

QRT
Most National Forests have a tone on the output. Some use the input tone on the repeater output. The Sierra National Forest uses a different set of tones on the output, with each being unique to one repeater. The Angeles, San Bernardino and Cleveland National Forests use 103.5 on the outputs of all their repeaters. This is done because of interference from Mexico. I'm not sure how many might be putting the input tone on the output. Forests with UHF linked repeaters and a single remote base use these tones to identify which repeater it is receiving enabling the dispatchers screen to display a flashing light on the box of that repeater.

The Forest Service, NPS and BLM do not publish their output tones on official frequency guides. Channel plans produced by individual forests may not reflect it either. When I was working for the Forest Service our radio tech on the Inyo did not program the 103.5 tone on the southern California forest's frequencies. It was pretty tough trying to listen to those forests when I traveled down there for a fire. The interference from Mexico was almost continuous.

2k1typeSH

Premium Subscriber
I live within reception distance of the forest and I monitor them from time to time. I can tell you that they do use tones, based on both seeing the tone displayed on the scanner (I have it set on CTCSS search) and hearing the units say what tone they are using. For example, a law enforcement ranger transmission will sound like this: "Stanislaus, Edaward-4, Admin, tone 10."

I will have to take note of the specific tones used and post any that I find. But for best results, I would suggest that you monitor them in CSQ mode.

SCPD

QRT
I live within reception distance of the forest and I monitor them from time to time. I can tell you that they do use tones, based on both seeing the tone displayed on the scanner (I have it set on CTCSS search) and hearing the units say what tone they are using. For example, a law enforcement ranger transmission will sound like this: "Stanislaus, Edaward-4, Admin, tone 10."

I will have to take note of the specific tones used and post any that I find. But for best results, I would suggest that you monitor them in CSQ mode.

I have a vexing interference problem at my house on the output frequency of the Inyo National Forest's north net repeater output. I solved it by using CTCSS squelch for each repeater I can receive and have a separate channel for each repeater. Away from my house I use CTCSS search and can tell right away what repeater is being used.

It has been quite some time since I've monitored a National Forest or National Park without a tone on the output. Yosemite and Death Valley use the input tone on the output. Sequoia-Kings used them also, but since they put the backcountry net on digital I haven't been able to receive it well enough to see if there is a common or repeater by repeater NAC on it.

2k1typeSH

Premium Subscriber
I have a vexing interference problem at my house on the output frequency of the Inyo National Forest's north net repeater output. I solved it by using CTCSS squelch for each repeater I can receive and have a separate channel for each repeater. Away from my house I use CTCSS search and can tell right away what repeater is being used.

It has been quite some time since I've monitored a National Forest or National Park without a tone on the output. Yosemite and Death Valley use the input tone on the output. Sequoia-Kings used them also, but since they put the backcountry net on digital I haven't been able to receive it well enough to see if there is a common or repeater by repeater NAC on it.

I agree with you Exsmokey, all the federal resource agencies I monitor in this area (USFS, NPS, BLM) use a tone for the repeater output as well. However, I have noticed that sometimes there will be no output tone on the Stanislaus Forest net when two units are going "car-to-car". I'm not sure what the reason for this is, since they still appear to be using a repeater. I monitor in CTCSS search mode so I can pick up any tone(s) that they may use.

As for the output tones I have heard used on the forest, I have heard the following:
"Tone 2" 123.0
"Tone 7" 167.9
"Tone 9" 100.0

These tones correspond with the 16 common tones found here:
United States Forest Service Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

There could be more in use, but I may not be within reception range of some of the repeaters using them.

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
I am heading up to Monache Meadows in 2 weeks and looking for ranger radio freqs to listen to while in the area. Also looking for 2 meter stuff for the same area. Even a repeater site I could Google in the area. Any help would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.