KCRA 450.1000 MHz digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sac916

Do you have a digital scanner? - Your scanner will tell you if it's digital or not.

If it's P25 and you do not have a digital scanner - you wouldn't be able to understand it

mkewman

I can almost guarantee you it's not P25. Hearst is NOT going to pay for a P25 Radio, and my understanding is that P25 is not allowed on 450/455 mhz frequencies. It's Wide or Narrowband voice, and telemetry only.

There was some talk of petitioning the fcc to request digital voice on the 450/455 frequencies on those frequencies, but i believe the discussion was that stations were afraid that if they petitioned the FCC, they'd be forced to narrowband those frequencies.

I had heard this about a year ago, when I was working full time in broadcasting, so things may have changed since then...

My guess is that it's digital telemetry, but I'll take a look.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Could it be NEXEDGE?
Here in Los Angeles ABC local affiliate and CNN have gone NEXEDGE for all their previous analog 450 UHF frequencies.

mkewman

I stand corrected, the FCC has approved it for those frequencies. It's possibly related to the Amgen tour, I saw them with DMR radios today.

I will decode it when i get home to verify.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
KCRA 450.100 MHz

I started receiving this KCRA frequency in digital Saturday morning, and quickly dialed it up on a P25 capable scanner. It was not decoded and still displayed as "FM". It does sound like telemetry to me.

I wondered too if this was related to the Amgen Tour. I guess we'll find out soon enough once the tour is over if the channel reverts back to analog. I actually get a lot of value listening to this channel and metro air to air.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
They were talking analog this morning with a CTCSS code of 141.3. Not sure what they were broadcasting over the weekend.

AA1Z

Amgen was using a TETRA UHF system last year, might be what you are hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.