Planning a trip to CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Yes, CHP's primary comms are still lowband. They do have 700Mhz extenders though, no longer the 154.905 channel that one became used too...

As for other agencies, it's a tossup depending on where you are going as to whether or not they're VHF, UHF, or P25.

Regards,

-Frank C.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
CHP in CA

CHP is still on low band VHF, but from the point of view of channels (named by color), the exact frequencies and CT values have changed for some.

In addition to the extender changes already mentioned, MOST dispatchers now also "repeat" the mobile onto the base channel. Because this function can be enabled/disabled by a dispatcher, I still monitor both base & mobile.

ebuchanan1970

I've listened to them since 1994 on my pro-2006. The only big change I notice is that the local offices aren't as strong some of the time. I live close to the San Jose CHP transmitter in the Santa Cruz mountains and it just is not like what it used to be. Gilroy is usually strong and I can see one of the transmitter sites from my roof. I used to hear Modesto from Morgan Hill before they started changing frequencies and transmitters. It was strong also. One time I heard Truckee from Morgan Hill. I was listening on a 13 foot long long wire antenna that was well grounded. I have not traveled with my scanner though I figure a lot of places sound different than they used to. Also Stockton CHP used to be pretty strong from here. The actual codes used over the air are the same.
One time I actually heard Fresno CHP directly on a call up by 180 in the Sierras.

Status
Not open for further replies.