USFS LE frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norman

Been hearing activity on 171.7875 for the last couple of days. Yesterday it was right after 0600, and again around 1000. Today, much more activity, all digital using PL's of 100 and 146.2 Both are full scale signals.
No ID heard. Some are long transmissions, does not appear to be a conversation. Testing? Anyone else
hearing this, or have any info?

Norman

All I know is that I'm hearing a digital xmission and reading PL's.
No analogue xmission, and I hear a squelch tail.

ecps92

Digital, yet PL's ? Sounds like your radio is programmed for Analog and is falsing the PL Tones during the Digital [P25] transmissions.,

Double check your settings and set this for P25
Been hearing activity on 171.7875 for the last couple of days. Yesterday it was right after 0600, and again around 1000. Today, much more activity, all digital using PL's of 100 and 146.2 Both are full scale signals.
No ID heard. Some are long transmissions, does not appear to be a conversation. Testing? Anyone else
hearing this, or have any info?

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
I've been hearing this too from my remote receiver in Calaveras County at 4000 feet. The transmissions are about 10 seconds long with a repeater tail. Total white noise. 996XT is programmed for any audio mode so I would receive it if P25 in the clear. I haven't been able to catch the transmissions when I"m at the radio to see if "enc" shows up. There is just one burst every few hours or so and is strong in the Mother Lode. The audio sounds like a p25 transmission when listening in FM mode, but as I said, the scanner is programmed to receive all modes.

Norman

I heard one yesterday, PL 100 which would be Hawkins Peak for the ENF. That is located in Alpine County
SE/O Hwy 88 and 89 intersection. Maybe that's what you are hearing? Also a lot of testing on the Service Net for the ENF, both digital and analog. I can't receive P 25.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
At about 1:20 this p.m. I heard a unit run a subject. This is the first time I have heard voice which was analog. I didn't get a location of the unit but the signal quality was similar to that of Alpine County at the remote reveiver, so prob is the site you suggest. STF quite active this holiday weekend with LE up at Lake Alpine using STF Admin Net.

Norman

I heard most all of that, female LE unit, quite busy today. The only LE freq activity that I heard came from the MNF. One LE unit also quite busy. The MNF is the only Forest that I hear using the LE on a regular basis.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Probably was from MNF as I have heard traffic from that forest before. Audio was poor tho. The site testing last week seemed much stronger..closer to ENF or STF.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
I have the 171.7875 in the scancal.org live scanner, based in Red Bluff with great coverage of the eastern side of the MNF. It has just over a minute delay so if you are ever wondering if the traffic is coming from up north, you can quickly jump on that and listen for a few minutes to see if I hear it. Granted, during the winter I do have local law on there and the USFS law net isn't on any priority so it might get missed, especially a short transmission.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I think I"m only hearing MNF during ducting conditions. I have not heard any activity on LE since my report last week but monitor it daily.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Just heard some traffic on LE - both unit and the dispatcher. Tuned in Norcal Scan feed and heard it there too..about the same quality signal. So must be MNF I"m hearing from my Arnold scanner.

Norman

It is now just after 2 pm, I just got home, been gone 3 hrs. The MNF ouputs a tone of 103.5 if you have a way of reading that.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Just heard "Mendocino" on R5 law giving a reg to a unit at "11:08". Good signal into Arnold. I thought it was local until I heard the dispatcher ID as Mendocino. This may have been the site that I was hearing being keyed up over the last few months. STF LE active this morning, but they have been on the Admin Net, as they usually are. I also heard Alpine County traffic, 153.80, this morning. Kirkwood Fire was calling Douglas County (which dispatches nights/weekends) saying he was on "Thimble Peak", which is due south of Kirkwood and about 50 miles NNE of Arnold. Any other agencies up on Thimble Peak?

Norman

The Forest LEs were pretty busy yesterday, not as much today. I did hear some of the Alpine traffic this am, propane leak? Re Thimble Peak, I think the person to ask would be gvranchosbill. He hangs out on
the Nevada Forum. Does a lot of monitoring up that way.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Been hearing some testing of R5 Law from scanner on the STF. Very good NFM audio, so probably coming from the STF or ENF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.