joerbn72@googlemail.com is a scammer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
I was contacted by a "Ray Dobson" regarding a radio I have for sale.

I should have been suspicious of the broken English that his emails were written in, but I went through to the point of getting payment. Guess what?

He's using the "I'm sending you more than you asked for, wire the balance to such-and-such" scam.

The emails are coming from "joerbn72@googlemail.com"

Needless to say, I cut him off at the knees and advised him not to contact me again. I have saved all the emails though, and with any luck, I might still get his payment in the mail. Then I can sink this SOB over mail fraud.

Watch out for this "alpha-hotel"!!

Larry

scannerfreak

Database Admin
I changed the title of the thread from "Ray" to the email address, as obviously Ray is not his name :)

k9rzz

I still don't get his scam. He just emailed me saying his shipper will be coming to pick up the item and that I should email him my address.

Well, first you have to PAY for the item, and secondly, he already has my callsign - look it up!

I emailed him back stating item is no longer for sale.

45SigSauer

The scam is indeed a bad money order. They will send you a money order for, lets say, $1000.00 for a $300.00 scanner, then they say my secretary made the money order out for the wrong amount , keep an extra $200.00 for your troubles and send the remaining $500.00 back with the scanner, but when you go to the bank, the money order is no good, now your out a scanner and $500.00.

when I was selling stuff on craigslist, I would get these all the time, I would string them along as long as I could, it would piss them off to no end when they find out I was on to them and wasted their time.

K

kb0nly

The scam is indeed a bad money order. They will send you a money order for, lets say, $1000.00 for a $300.00 scanner, then they say my secretary made the money order out for the wrong amount , keep an extra $200.00 for your troubles and send the remaining $500.00 back with the scanner, but when you go to the bank, the money order is no good, now your out a scanner and $500.00.

when I was selling stuff on craigslist, I would get these all the time, I would string them along as long as I could, it would piss them off to no end when they find out I was on to them and wasted their time.

LOL.... I have done that to a few also. Never actually received any mail or otherwise from any of them, would just keep teasing them with the prospect that i had fell for it. Good stress relief..

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
When a message like this creeps past my spam filters, I usually have the "payment" send to the local police department.

I doubt they do anything with it, but makes me chuckle inside...

This same douchebag (I will keep to myself about how I really feel about this guy), about scammed me last year when I sold my PRO96.

Same song and dance, send someone to my door to pick up the item, cash the money order, keep the excess, WHAMMO, I just broke it off in ya for a bad money order.

The dumbass made a "copy" of a money order, but I knew is was bogus from the get. I called Moneygram to verify, and the "money order" this guy sent me was "cashed" 2 months prior. It was even a terrible copy. The borders of the money order were not even centered, and the heat sensitive marks didn't respond to heat.

He didn't get far. He didn't get the PRO96. I stringed him on as well, told him it was sold and really got his panties in a bunch!

I contacted the Postal Inspector and the FBI in Omaha, and according to them, they have been trying to nab this guy for a while.

nhscannerman

This same douchebag (I will keep to myself about how I really feel about this guy), about scammed me last year when I sold my PRO96.

Same song and dance, send someone to my door to pick up the item, cash the money order, keep the excess, WHAMMO, I just broke it off in ya for a bad money order.

The dumbass made a "copy" of a money order, but I knew is was bogus from the get. I called Moneygram to verify, and the "money order" this guy sent me was "cashed" 2 months prior. It was even a terrible copy. The borders of the money order were not even centered, and the heat sensitive marks didn't respond to heat.

He didn't get far. He didn't get the PRO96. I stringed him on as well, told him it was sold and really got his panties in a bunch!

I contacted the Postal Inspector and the FBI in Omaha, and according to them, they have been trying to nab this guy for a while.
------------------------------------------------

I can see where you are coming from on this. For the past few years, I've been getting retarded emails that are scams as well. Like one example one was saying that one of my family members had died in a plane crash & had left me $1,000,000!!! Let me share this that most of these lame @$$es are mostly from Nigeria, Africa. According to what I was told from the Boston, Mass FBI office was that they also been trying to pin down the clown(S). In NH one guy here in Nashua had scammed people of more than over a thousand dollars on EBAY. All the time you here more of this sh*T 24/7. So never feel like you are the only test rat being used.

andrewclegg

Thanks for possibly saving me

I received a response to a radio ad from this guy, and I googled his name before I replied and found this thread. His inquiry was in broken English. Here is exactly his inquiry:

"Hello
I want to buy your (ICOM R20 150 kHz - 3.3 GHz ) So i want you to explain it conditon and mail me
your last price and also i will be paying with (Money Order) Hope to
hear from you soon. Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Regards,

Ray."

Thanks a bunch -- you guys may have saved me from getting ripped off. As of now, I had not replied to him. I wonder if there is a way I could reply that would help catch the guy?

Andy

Para078

I've been sending them a reply with a picture of a pair of handcuffs and the question, "Do you like nice bracelets?"

Status
Not open for further replies.