MCAS Miramar "Paddles" frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out the frequency used by the landing signal officers at MCAS Miramar for their Fleet Carrier Landing Practice (FCLP) pattern. Prior to heading out to a real aircraft carrier, the F/A-18 trainee pilots in VMFAT-101 have to practice landing on a painted outline of a carrier deck on runway 24L, and an LSO talks them down on a frequency called "Paddles."

I found this thread from back in 2006, which says:

I live in the University City area so I monitor Miramar a lot. What I have for the training that you are referring to are the frequencies that they call "paddles". At least from my experience, you will often hear the tower tell the pilot to contact "paddles". This is the hand-off to work with the people on the tarmac for FCLP's or Fleet Carrier Landing Practice. These frequencies are:

paddles - 362.600
paddles - 377.200

I've tried both when the FCLP pattern was active with no luck, and so far bandscanning hasn't yielded results either. Anyone have any idea what the current paddles frequency (or frequencies) is for Miramar?

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Well no such luck from any of you folks the last 4 years. :)

I came across this old video shot by an F-14 RIO (back seater) sometime in the 80s by the looks of it. Includes ATC audio and starts with a landing at Miramar, followed by carrier ops and general tomfoolery. At 3:25 minutes in, Miramar tower tells Tanker 613 to "contact paddles on 362.6." So clearly that paddles frequency has been around for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El7VgDigpdA

QDP2012

Nice catch.

Is that something that can go in the DB, or is there a better place for it in the Wiki?

Status
Not open for further replies.