no coverage for FD from basement

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have that problem back in Indiana, don't expect to hear radio traffic about basements out here.
The IC was sharp enough to have the units use 8 direct to talk out to the truck.

Too bad they aren't using Hytera DMR, I could sell them a portable with the single frequency repeater option to help them out.

troymail

Silent Key
It took the deaths of several public servants to get improvements made to not only systems being deployed but also standard operating procedures for fireground/interior operations and other situations where poor radio reception is bound to exist.

Thee days, most departments have fairly well defined SOPs in place that automatically move operations to mobile repeaters (if an option) or simplex channels upon arrival. Departments that do not risk being the next ones in the news - and not for good reasons.

Not sure I understand the applicability of the DMR comment.... digital has been part of the problem in these situations.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
NFPA standards specify that a analog simplex channel is to be available for fireground use. Both the City of San Diego system and the RCS are compliant.

There are many building in the City where in-building coverage solutions are needed. Providing these systems are on the building owner, and code does not require retrofit unless improvements exceeding a threshold are made to the building.

At one point Phoenix FD did a study and made it policy to use simplex for fireground, not sure if that's still the case. I should find out soon, sold my home in Clairemont and am moving to Mesa AZ next week.

There are some underground parking lots in PB where SDPD units can't get out on northern, I wonder if that will clear if they go to the 700 system.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
_..._ There are some underground parking lots in PB where SDPD units can't get out on northern, I wonder if that will clear if they go to the 700 system.

Doubt it. The 700 and 800 MHz systems are essentially identical for coverage in the beach areas.

f40ph

Feed Provider
"In building" solutions are great for law enforcement. However, nobody can ever assure me that it isn't compromised when the FD is fighting a fire in it.

Loma Linda FD has an SOP that uses 700mhz direct channels when working incidents at the hospitals in their city.

seh911

Feed Provider
"In building" solutions are great for law enforcement. However, nobody can ever assure me that it isn't compromised when the FD is fighting a fire in it.

Loma Linda FD has an SOP that uses 700mhz direct channels when working incidents at the hospitals in their city.
Nor can anyone assure you that a simplex channel will get through in all situations/conditions either. Especially in a basement x-ray room surrounded by shielded walls, 2 stories down.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Nor can anyone assure you that a simplex channel will get through in all situations/conditions either. Especially in a basement x-ray room surrounded by shielded walls, 2 stories down.

Agreed. Many FDs plan for this by having a 'relay' person in a position to speak into the 'confined' space from a location where they can be heard.

seh911

Feed Provider
Agreed. Many FDs plan for this by having a 'relay' person in a position to speak into the 'confined' space from a location where they can be heard.
Yes. It's always good to have smart radio people in the FD who are constantly thinking of these issues, and not relying on a single turnkey solution.

APX7500X2

We have that problem back in Indiana, don't expect to hear radio traffic about basements out here.
The IC was sharp enough to have the units use 8 direct to talk out to the truck.

Too bad they aren't using Hytera DMR, I could sell them a portable with the single frequency repeater option to help them out.

I hope that was a Joke.....maybe 2 Hytera in a life safety application and DMR in a life safety application.

Status
Not open for further replies.