Midspan jumpers on the 75

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmaness2001

Premium Subscriber
Had another one this morning. I watched Harbor PD do the SAR.
Is there a reason these are never reported on the news?
I get the feeling that there is at least one a day.

Stringer619

News Photojournalist
The media generally refrains from gang-related or suicide-related incidents because we don't want to glorify it. You will sometimes see coverage of these things if there are other factors that make it newsworthy (e.g. shuts down rush-hour commute on a major freeway or roadway), but the journalistic focus is then more-so on those other factors.

billybob

Premium Subscriber
Cmaness2001, maybe they report suicides in Arizona but in San Diego County they don't. Unless is was related to a crime. Such as for example a murder suicide.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Found various links on Google pertaining to media and suicide coverage. One study from Australia noted Australian news media "only covered 29% of suicides". If I covered 1/3 of the suicides I hear every overnight shift, you would be seeing at least 1-2 stories every morning, and that is just those from when it's dark out. :-(

Paul

billybob

Premium Subscriber
No problem. Since neither jumped off the Coronado bridge that's what I thought we were talking about. Ha... I'm sure Andregg had showed up to a few of my radio calls only to find out they were 11-45's and then drive away. Right P.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.