Whistler ws1010 in SD

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojans1979

Good evening people. I will start off by saying I am very brand new to the world of scanners. With that being said I bought this ws101 on a killer deal for my first one. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback or experience with this scanner as i havent been able to pick up anything on the scanner as of yet. I found the frequencies list and plugged in the numbers for SDPD, La Mesa PD, and Naval base san diego police and fire with none of those picking up coming in. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated or if this has already been discussed, point me in that forum direction. Thank you.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
Looking at the specifications for the radio -- it is analog only radio. It does not appear to have the ability to monitor anything that is trunked -- the county and city are both on trunked radio systems. Therefore you will not be picking up any law enforcement with the exception of the CHP on 39 MHz. However you will be able to program in all of the Cal Fire VHF information and the wild land fire frequencies (which were just updated within the past 24 hours.

Alain

tj1979,

Since you've become a new scanner owner, why not make a post over on the Whistler forum and introduce yourself? Feel free to ask questions!

https://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/

Although the San Diego RR database is not as extensive as it once was for the analog mode, your scanner is a great place to get your feet wet; understand how the scanner works and what it can and cannot do.

If you are an apartment dweller, you can stick a "mag mount" scanner antenna atop just about anything metallic, but it need not be metal; a file cabinet in your room, a refrigerator or just a bookcase shelf close to a window.

If you are fortunate enough to have a home, an outdoor antenna is probably the best investment you can make in your new hobby, to expand your and monitoring & knowledge. Don't forget the "ham bands"; you could very well find an amateur radio op living right in your neighborhood! Birds of a feather...

There are some very bright, helpful and friendly men and women on these RR boards, always willing to help a newcomer enjoy the hobby.

Keep us posted on your progress!

trojans1979

tj1979,

Since you've become a new scanner owner, why not make a post over on the Whistler forum and introduce yourself? Feel free to ask questions!

https://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/

Although the San Diego RR database is not as extensive as it once was for the analog mode, your scanner is a great place to get your feet wet; understand how the scanner works and what it can and cannot do.

If you are an apartment dweller, you can stick a "mag mount" scanner antenna atop just about anything metallic, but it need not be metal; a file cabinet in your room, a refrigerator or just a bookcase shelf close to a window.

If you are fortunate enough to have a home, an outdoor antenna is probably the best investment you can make in your new hobby, to expand your and monitoring & knowledge. Don't forget the "ham bands"; you could very well find an amateur radio op living right in your neighborhood! Birds of a feather...

There are some very bright, helpful and friendly men and women on these RR boards, always willing to help a newcomer enjoy the hobby.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Hey thanks for the info buddy, Ill head that way now.. Lots of good info. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.