Golden Gate National Recreation

Status
Not open for further replies.

northzone

Premium Subscriber
Today I listened to their old system for several hours. The control channel was 100% decode but I did not hear a single bit of radio traffic. I assume they have switched to the new expanded system shared with LLL. Now I guess we find out if they are encrypted or not. Please do some listening and report your findings here. I will also work on it.

Should be new sites at Montara Mtn, Black Mtn, Presidio Hill, and Mt. Tamalpais.

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I'll be at their Mt Tam location for work related activities next week or so. Last time I was there (several months ago?) they had the tower up but nothing was dressed, nor was anything moved from the old site (that should have been demo'd by now).

Retired911Guy

Just did a quick Pro96com check on the LL system shows NO new associated sites.

Checked GGNRA control chls, are NOT P25

Locked scanner on GGNRA already in scanner with RR db listings, heard USPPD do traffic stop on Site 1 (north)

I have heard a lot of SF (south) traffic on simplex tac chls last month or so, may be south site is being updated.??

Don't know.

BTW I did just 2 days ago ask my Southern Marin Fire source if he had heard anything about the NEW GGNRA system and he said nothing at all. (GGNRA is providing SMFD park radios for Fire & Med coverage and told them that when the "NEW" system was up they would provide SMFD with "NEW" system radios).

Dave

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I'll be at their Mt Tam location for work related activities next week or so. Last time I was there (several months ago?) they had the tower up but nothing was dressed, nor was anything moved from the old site (that should have been demo'd by now).

Haha yeah, the West Peak site... being literally UNDER THE TREE CANOPY... doesn't seem like the most effective location anymore. :)

Is the new tower on the FAA radar site or the "Middle Peak" site (circular green building with old TACAN antenna on top)?

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
I've been hearing normal traffic on Mt. Tam. In fact, just heard a comm tech (talk group 262) test Ft. Miley as well as Tam. I have also been searching freqs near the LLNL system for additional sites, but nothing yet.
Dave
Fremont CA

Hooligan

My NPS friend indicated he's heard nothing about a new radio system, but that now, at least the 600-series guys (NPS GGNRA Presidio of SF Interpretive Rangers) are using cell-phones instead of radios.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Is the new tower on the FAA radar site or the "Middle Peak" site (circular green building with old TACAN antenna on top)?
It's at an existing site ("Building 402") managed by American Tower and adjacent to the radar site. Previously the tenants found whatever means to mount their antenna(s), which was mostly on the building itself, but the hope is now to move everyone to the tower. A second one is planned too since GGNRA is, or will, hang a lot of junk on the main tower. The equipment I manage ended up on the building and will move when the second tower goes in.

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I was up at Tam today and can confirm there is a site online at "Building 402". It doesn't appear configured yet as it's only sending out a system ID (3B0 so it's part of DOE/LLNL) and no other site data. In the short time I watched it there were a few radios that had affiliated to it so it must already be programmed in the master codeplug (and is not GGNRA specific).

Here's a shot of the tower. It's the one on the left. Three M/W dishes and two "Bogner" style antennas. The tower to the right is for USCG.
Tam_GGNRA_Tower_1.jpg

There's also a new site somewhere south of Tam on 407.1875 announcing itself as Site 9 of the 3B0 network. It's currently broadcasting site trunking (so it isn't linked to the network). Sig was not strong in the North Bay so I don't think it's near the Presidio. Possibly much farther south. Alternate CC's for this site are 407.9875 and 408.7375.

Last edited:

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
Looks a little foggy up there. A typical Marin County summer day?

Sounds like you are going to have some work there on moving day.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks Wayne! When I was back home last month I spent some time bandscanning 380 - 420 MHz looking for this site, but I just missed it coming online (only found the usual suspects, Diablo and Grizzly sites of 3B0 and the old GGNRA system).

That tower definitely wasn't there the last time I was on Middle Peak!

northzone

Premium Subscriber
IThere's also a new site somewhere south of Tam on 407.1875 announcing itself as Site 9 of the 3B0 network. It's currently broadcasting site trunking (so it isn't linked to the network). Sig was not strong in the North Bay so I don't think it's near the Presidio. Possibly much farther south. Alternate CC's for this site are 407.9875 and 408.7375.

I have a system map. The new sites for designed for GGNRA are:

Mt. Tam
Presido Hill
Montara
Black Mtn.

I do not have the frequencies.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I should have stated at this time Black Mtn. will be a microwave only site.
The dish on the top is probably going toward BM. I was aware of the other four sites but based on monitoring couldn't say for sure it was Black or Montara. I'll be in the South Bay this week so I'll see if I can figure it out.

Then the mid dish shoots to LBNL and the bottom (small) to the Presidio. My guess. :)

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
From my post here in Fremont, I have been hearing a strong encrypted signal on 408.2375 for several weeks now. Both this freq and LLNL Mt Diablo freq 409.025 are using CTCSS of 67.0. Could this be the new Montara Mtn freq?

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Your scanner is set to "ANALOG" mode only. Since it's showing 67.0 ctcss tone.
You need to change it to ALL MODE or DIGITAL Mode to hear the audio.
If your scanner can show P25 NAC's. You can have it show you the NAC code on those P25 frequency.

408.2375 = 293 NAC - VAMC Palo Alto (& Livermore) - Security
409.025 = Site NAC: 3B6

From my post here in Fremont, I have been hearing a strong encrypted signal on 408.2375 for several weeks now. Both this freq and LLNL Mt Diablo freq 409.025 are using CTCSS of 67.0. Could this be the new Montara Mtn freq?

Last edited:

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Yup, I had the custom search setting to receive analog only. Reset to also receive digital. New data to be posted later re this topic and new East Bay Regional system. Thanks!

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Since going "digital" on the custom scan, I have found a strong signal on 406.5125 NAC 3B0. Steady signal with no voice or data heard. Encrypted control channel on the Peninsula for LLNL??

Dave
Fremont

Status
Not open for further replies.