RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > California Radio Discussion Forum > San Francisco Bay Area Discussion

San Francisco Bay Area Discussion - Local area specific discussion for the San Francisco Bay area including the North, East and South Bays.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 AM

Some good news in that newsletter regarding EBRCS policy on encryption of dispatch channels!
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanfn View Post
There were people on the Alameda Northwest cell today and over the past couple of days. They seemed to be doing informal coverage testing in Albany and at Alta Bates Medical Center.

I shouldn't think it would be much use to test coverage in Albany until the UC Berkeley site is online. Perhaps this means that it is, although I would expect to be getting much stronger signal at my location than I am.
Site 4 is still being built but it's planned coverage area is Albany. I think only the Glen Dyer location is active.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by kma371; 11-09-2011 at 12:04 PM..
Old 11-09-2011, 9:18 PM
Forums Veteran
Database Admin

I can't get over how HUGE that Patterson Pass tower is. For the area it definitely sticks out. The adjacent site/tower where Sandia Labs has their repeaters is dwarfed in comparison. Across the street is an amateur site where the LARK repeater is at I believe.

And in the photo you can see they're using a panel antenna so the RF is focused toward the Tri Valley area (and so us Valley folks get basically nothing).

Last edited by WayneH; 11-09-2011 at 9:22 PM..
Old 11-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Which tower is on the south side of the freeway going up the grade on 580 at Patterson Pass that has the blinking white light?
Old 11-10-2011, 11:53 AM

So here's a couple things I need flushed out.

1. Does anyone know if we're going to have to listen to every cell site in order to hear ACFD or EMS or will they simulcast several cells on different cell sites.. I'm assuming (maybe I shouldn't) that it will be sort of like how it is now where the local PD's will be on their respective cells and not simulcasted while ACFD, ACSO or EMS will be?

2. PDF for NOV says cutover date of DEC 11, 2011 and finish date of June 12. Does that mean they will be using the system and majority of traffic will be on the system next month and in order to listen we need to listen to EBRCS or can we still listen to the current 800 system and COCO conv. channels until June?
Sponsored links
Old 11-10-2011, 12:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The December 11th, 2011 cut-over date is only for the dispatch console systems Ben96cal. The system is due to be live in June 2012. So all you would hear on the system now is radio techs.
Old 11-10-2011, 2:57 PM
Global DB Admin
Database Admin

Each individual simulcast site will TX only the specific area it covers with larger area talkgroups TXing on additional sites.

Old 11-10-2011, 4:38 PM
Global DB Admin
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneH View Post
And in the photo you can see they're using a panel antenna so the RF is focused toward the Tri Valley area (and so us Valley folks get basically nothing).
Well if we are hearing the control channel, shouldnt we be hearing all of it?

Old 11-10-2011, 8:08 PM

So in your opinion if I want to listen to fire in Coco and Alco I will have to be able to pick up all Cells ie. Alco East, Northwest and Southwest, Coco Central, West and East? Doubtful that let's say Alco East would transmit Alco Southwest's traffic....
Old 11-10-2011, 9:08 PM
Global DB Admin
Database Admin

My guess would be wide area talkgroups, like sheriff, county fire would transmit on all sites.

Kind of like it is now on current system. You can only hear San Leandro on the local sites. But you hear fire/AMR on the wide sites.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Forums Veteran
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben96cal View Post
Which tower is on the south side of the freeway going up the grade on 580 at Patterson Pass that has the blinking white light?
That's for the high KV DOE/WAPA power lines. The Patterson Pass site isn't visible from the freeway. Maybe once you pass 205 heading toward I5 would you maybe be able to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma371
Well if we are hearing the control channel, shouldnt we be hearing all of it?
So you're saying you hear Site 2?
Old 11-13-2011, 5:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
So here's a couple things I need flushed out.

1. Does anyone know if we're going to have to listen to every cell site in order to hear ACFD or EMS or will they simulcast several cells on different cell sites.. I'm assuming (maybe I shouldn't) that it will be sort of like how it is now where the local PD's will be on their respective cells and not simulcasted while ACFD, ACSO or EMS will be?
Hearing AlCo Fire & EMS traffic will depend on how the system is configured. You ask about 'simulcast' (multiple sites on the same RF frequencies acting as one large cell) but the context of your question relates to 'multicast' (same information transmitted across multiple sites on different RF frequencies).

In most larger systems, talkgroups will not be transmitted (anywhere) unless there is a user radio affiliated with that particular talkgroup registered in that particular cell, and that talkgroup is permitted in that particular call.

Don
Old 11-13-2011, 9:46 PM
Forums Veteran
Database Admin

Ben, last warning, please stick to the topic. If you have general questions please create your own thread.

This is the last time for anyone. Any future posts will get deleted and an infraction issued.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:08 AM

Lots of testing chatter on the east site for Alco this morning testing TG's 1-7
Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I'm hearing that as well here in Fremont. Radio ID's being used: 4319002 & 16777207. BTW seems like the RR forums time stamp is off by two hours. Appears that it was set ahead instead of behind re standard time last week.

Last edited by Oakland_Tower; 11-16-2011 at 11:42 AM..
Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 AM

Sounds like they've got 7 radio's side by side doing multi site TG testing...
Old 12-01-2011, 7:48 PM

Default Hayward

Question about Hayward... did they decide to leave the EBRCS?

Based on this:
Hayward City Council - Tech Apps Comm Report on EBRCS 11-19-2008

Hayward had good reason to stay out of EBRCS. After review of those documents and recent EBCRCS newsletters, there appears to be a conflict of information. The EBRCS site lists Hayward as a participant, but the newsletters do not list Hayward as receiving dispatch console upgrades or installations. It does appear as if EBRCS got their installation on Hayward's Garin Water Tank and possibly Hayward PD, however.

Hayward... are they in, or out? I can't tell...
Old 12-01-2011, 8:21 PM

Hayward PD is in as it uses Alco trunk currently for such things as NARC... HFD is out as it plays by it's our rules and is actually redoing it's frequencies, ie. adding tacs....
Old 12-01-2011, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Hayward PD is in as it uses Alco trunk currently for such things as NARC... HFD is out as it plays by it's our rules and is actually redoing it's frequencies, ie. adding tacs....
Hmmmm... HFD had serious reservations about going digital per the 2008 report (audio quality), so it makes sense that they are not joining.

How is HPD supposed to move to EBRCS without a dispatch console upgrade? Forgive me, but I don't see how HPD using ALCO narc channels means they are moving to EBRCS.
Old 12-01-2011, 9:43 PM

This is only conjecture but if the municipality is already on the existing trunk system it would seem unlikely it would leave. HPD won't use the system as primary comms but it will be on the system.

Tags
ebrcs