"[Oakland] Police have been having sporadic radio problems for several months"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG6JTU

Premium Subscriber
"[Oakland] Police have been having sporadic radio problems for several months"

I read Two Berkeley men arrested, guns seized in possible retaliation mission - Inside Bay Area this evening and it includes claim of OPD's radios being bad, even for the officers. I saw some mention of this in a few posts within other threads, but no dedicated thread. Also, most of what I saw was regarding scanners having issues, not OPD. So, how widespread is this? Is there more detailed info available about the issues they're having?

Joyner detained the driver at gunpoint but because the radio system was acting erratically responding
officers could not hear all of Joyner's broadcasts about where the other suspects were. Police have been having sporadic radio problems for several months and technicians are still working to fix them.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Officers are complaining about dead spots on a daily basis. If you listen to an OPD talkgroup long enough you're bound to hear one. From last night:

Officer to dispatch: "I've been trying to call you for the last five minutes but couldn't get through. The entire (didn't catch the neighborhood name) is dead on these radios."
Dispatch: " *sigh* I'll add it to the radio log."

The problems are definitely not limited to the way our scanners are handling LSM.

Status
Not open for further replies.