ALCO East Simulcast Digital Distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacerat

Premium Subscriber
Now that Livermore Police Department is on EBRCS ALCO East Simulcast I have been experiencing simulcast digital distortion very often in the truck and constantly at home.

I am using a GRE PSR-500 and I have it in my cup holder with the standard rubber duck antenna in my truck. While driving around Livermore I go in and out of areas that have simulcast digital distortion so often that it makes it very difficult to monitor. I have tried using the attenuator and different antennas but the problem stays.

To my knowledge the Motorola mobile units are rarely experiencing simulcast digital distortion. I do hear the officers once in a while complain that the transmission was garbled, but not that often.

I have a friend that recently went on a ride a long and I showed him what it sounds like on my radio and he said he did not ever hear it on the Motorola radio. The Motorola radios seem to handle the multipath reception problem and properly decode the digital signal. However my PSR-500 has a big problem trying to deal with the multipath reception and is not able to decode the digital signal.

At my house I have to use a directional antenna because if I use an omnidirectional antenna I constantly get simulcast digital distortion because I am 5.2 miles from one repeater site and 5.6 miles from the other repeater site. This puts me in a really bad simulcast digital distortion zone.

I sure hope GRE will be able to improve the digital decode software in their radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.