Equipment Space - Local Repeater Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,
Can anyone steer me in the right direction to contact any of the local bay area repeater site owners who would allow me to locate my NetSDR receiver, laptop and long wire or vertical antenna on their site? My interest is SWL, Ham and general shortwave monitoring.

My home location is too noisy to enjoy my receiver. Between my neighbors plasma TV and other RFI, I have a narrow band of frequencies that I can monitor. 40 meters and below forget it in the evening. Above 17 meters looks like some video game from TV RFI.

My NetSDR is internet accessible and my plan would be to listen to my receiver from remote location. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards
vince48

trooperdude

Database Admin
You'll have a heck of a time listening to anything at the high level commercial sites without some SERIOUS filtering.

There is just so much intermixing.

BTW it isn't cheap to lease space either at commercial sites, and due to insurance highly doubtful anyone would voluntarily lend
you space.

You'd be better trying to find somebody that lives off of Skyline or Montebello that has wireless broadband at their house.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Yes, thought about that and it would present a serious problem. I guess
I'm looking for a remote quiet location with internet access.

vince48

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I agree that a commercial radio site would be a poor choice, if noise reduction is your goal. A more practical solution would be to learn to live with, and maybe eliminate the noise. If it's local, in your house, you can deal with it. If it's elsewhere, not so much.

In that case, loop antennas and active noise cancelling are very useful. I've lived in severe noise conditions and was able to eliminate the noise down to almost nothing.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
actually, it's nothing I can do. Both neighbors have older plasma TV's.I'm not sure a loop wpuld do much for me in this case.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
actually, it's nothing I can do. Both neighbors have older plasma TV's.I'm not sure a loop wpuld do much for me in this case.

You'd be surprised. I use a loop with an ANC-4 noise canceller and both are very effective for noises like that. The combination is hard to beat. I've taken an S9+ noise level and reduced it to nothing.

A loop has a very sharp null, and the noise canceller will take care of what's left.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
You'd be surprised. I use a loop with an ANC-4 noise canceller and both are very effective for noises like that. The combination is hard to beat. I've taken an S9+ noise level and reduced it to nothing.

A loop has a very sharp null, and the noise canceller will take care of what's left.

zz0468,
This maybe my fix, what kind of loop do you have?

vince48

zz0468

QRT
Banned
what should I search for, name wise?

Just Google W1VLF. He's out there on the web. Ask him about his untuned loop antennas. They were made out of copper water pipe. I'm not aware of any specific construction plans out there, but he's a good guy and will steer you in the right direction.

Other than that, just do a search on loop antennas. There's a ton of construction articles out there. Find one and build it.

Also, look around for an ANC-4 noise canceller. More Fine Junk has one as well that gets good reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.