San Francisco DPW system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremym70

I am taking a class in Santa Clara and found I can pick up site 3 of site 2103 pretty well with a handheld, but not the main pd/fd system which seems strange? I had this system preprogrammed into my scanner from previous visits to the Bay Area and had a lot of talkgroups entered in that I am sure came from the database here. However the db only shows a few talkgroups for the public works system? Any idea what's going on with the db and why I can hear this system way down here but not site 1?

officer_415

Database Admin
I believe the public works system uses a higher transmit power than the PD/FD system. The public works system uses fewer sites, so they have to increase the power to cover the same area. The result is better coverage outside the city. I experience the same thing from Marin County.

As for the talkgroups, many of them have not been submitted. You should keep track of what you monitor and submit it to the database.

jeremym70

OK that makes sense I guess. I checked the FCC license for a few of the PW freqs and they seem to be mish mashed with the PD/FD system, so it's kind of hard to tell which is which. And they are spread across two call signs with about 9 different sites.

On the talkgroups I swear they used to be on here and that's how I programmed them in my 396. Not sure where else I would have gotten them? There were a few I didn't have names on, but most I had.

officer_415

Database Admin
Yeah, the PD/FD system uses 8 sites, and the public works system uses 3 sites. Many of the public works talkgroups are listed under "city government" in the database, but I know there are more talkgroups which are not listed yet.

jeremym70

Yeah, the PD/FD system uses 8 sites, and the public works system uses 3 sites. Many of the public works talkgroups are listed under "city government" in the database, but I know there are more talkgroups which are not listed yet.

I have forwarded the talkgroups I have to the database. Thanks.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Talkgroups updated. FYI the Government Radio Systems: Golden Gate Region book by Bob Kelty does a very good job on SF. I still don't think Kelty sells his books online, but it can be purchased from HRO in Oakland.

Status
Not open for further replies.