CHP Grape PL tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

45-70-405

It looks like that the Grape has had its tone changed. I don't listen to CHP that much, but do have Grape and Blue in my CDM750 on my desk. The last time I listened was over a week ago, and the CDM with RX tone of 131.8 worked fine. Yesterday I found that all I got was a busy light. This morning I started trying to figure out what tone they switched to. Got lucky on my first try and it seems they are now transmitting 103.5 on 42.420.

I think I once remember seeing a list some time ago that had a channel listed as "Grape 2" with a tone of 103.5 as a future. One of the Grape and Blue stations, along with all the receivers, microwave, CDF, and Caltrans was in one of the sites my agency owned.

Now I have to reprogram all the Orions in my cars...

Josh

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
It looks like that the Grape has had its tone changed. I don't listen to CHP that much, but do have Grape and Blue in my CDM750 on my desk. The last time I listened was over a week ago, and the CDM with RX tone of 131.8 worked fine. Yesterday I found that all I got was a busy light. This morning I started trying to figure out what tone they switched to. Got lucky on my first try and it seems they are now transmitting 103.5 on 42.420.

I think I once remember seeing a list some time ago that had a channel listed as "Grape 2" with a tone of 103.5 as a future. One of the Grape and Blue stations, along with all the receivers, microwave, CDF, and Caltrans was in one of the sites my agency owned.

Now I have to reprogram all the Orions in my cars...

Josh

Must be in line with the new changes for the PL from 131.8 to 103.5. Thanks for the update on the Grape Josh!

Regards,

-Frank C.

KI6KGN30

It looks like the Golden Gate Division are going to a simulcast system, probably similar to what LA has.

When the Ruby, and the Amber changed PL tones, the audio quality of the channels changed dramatically (because it's now simulcast). Both channels had really lousy TX audio, and naturally problems cropped up with reception as well.

The Ruby channel is a lot better now, but the Amber still has issues. I hear more complaints from officers in the field now about radios problems, then when the old PL was being used.

On a side note. There was a high speed chase that started in Santa Cruz, and when the Santa Cruz units in pursuit switched to the Amber, from the Green (42.54 MHz), they didn't have the new PL tone, so naturally you can guess what happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.