CHP scanning in Silicon Valley / South Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

drick

So per my other thread, I'm trying to determine how i should be configuring my new BCD436HP and what i should expect from a reception perspective. It was suggested there that i need to post this here to get additional feedback.

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/332569-new-bcd436hp-user-few-questions.html

Background - I live in the South Bay, and want to set up my scanner to maximize the chances of both Analog & Digital reception of the Green & Ruby CHP sub stations. This is my second scanner and 1st foray into digital, so i'm still very much in the beginning of my learning curve.

Per the responses on the other string, I have no interest in brand vs. brand b. I bought a Uniden, and i would like to make it work as best as possible in the broadest fashion.

Appreciate any / all feedback on this.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
CHP

The biggest factor in successfully receiving CHP is your antenna. Low band VHF means a larger antenna than many want to use. Sure you'll get some stuff on 700MHz (extenders, etc), but for most areas you'll want to receive them on their native frequency.

I don't rely on the 'repeat' function being on and also monitor the mobile frequencies. Often I get better reception of mobiles there (but it depends on where I am and they are at that moment).

There is a must read in the Wiki on monitoring CHP. It's worth a read.

PaulNDaOC

If you need help selecting and buying antennas you can try Ham Radio Outlet in Sunnyvale. They have helped many a newbie starting out at the store near me in Anaheim. I will preface I have never dealt HRO in your area, so it's a suggestion only, not an ensorsement.

510 Lawrence Expy. # 102
Sunnyvale, CA

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, low band is all about the antenna. Will this be mobile or home?
Mobile, you really need an antenna designed or low band VHF. Any of the name brand NMO mount antennas will be a good choice. Larsen, Laird, etc. HRO in Sunnyvale will have the Larsen low band coils you'd need.

Base, you are still looking at needing a good antenna, but it's much easier to make your own. Isn't hard to string up some wire and get something that'll work.

I'm over in the Santa Cruz area, and I can pick up CHP from San Jose with an outside antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.